Rear brake lines 78xs11e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear brake lines 78xs11e

What's your guys opinion on staying with 3 brake lines as original or changing to one brake line?
    78 E
    I'm going to put a Batman Costume in my closet just to screw with myself when I get altzeimers

It depends on whether or not you want to have an original look or not. There is not real advantage to a one piece other than ease of use and simplicity. The metal "middle" section of the rear brake line has no give so there is no advantage there. Stainless lines are far better all round than rubber lines but pricing comes into play and it can get costly depending on which way you want to do it.
    Personally I like the stainless steel lines and use the one piece line on the rear in particular because it does add some flexibility to the whole assembly.
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Brakes 78e

Ok thanks for that. I'm trying to keep this thing original but I want as many upgrades to the brakes as I can just keeping safety in mind
      Mark
      78 E
      I'm going to put a Batman Costume in my closet just to screw with myself when I get altzeimers

Comment

Brake lines

I ll take your advice on stainless lines and have messaged Len at Xj for new lines
        78 E

Comment

Rear Brake Line

I have replaced the rear brake line using the original steel pipe and new black ss lines from XJ4ever (Len) on a Standard. Coming apart, the threads on the original steel are a little bit abused having been together so long.

Thinking back, I imagine there is probably a considerable amount of rust left in the walls of the old steel line even though you put in new fluid. It is also quite cumbersome lining up the three part line going back together. As far as looks are concerned - if you have a full bagger bike you can barely see the rear line. And if you have a naked bike, you would have to be looking for the change to see it.

As a result, I am replacing the lines on another bike and am using the one-piece rear line. I noticed quite an appreciated difference in the "new" feel of the brakes going to the ss lines. It is similar to going from manual to power assisted brakes (even with the same pads).

Mike
          Last edited by MPittma100; 12-17-2013, 09:00 PM.
          1981 XS1100H Venturer
          K&N Air Filter
          ACCT
          Custom Paint by Deitz
          Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
          Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
          Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
          Stebel Nautilus Horn
          EBC Front Rotors
          Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

When I first got my XS I couldnt figure out why the rear brake would not work at all. After rebuilding it all, it just aouldnt do anything. Eventually I checked the steel line...it was rusted **** in the middle. Now it is a single braided stainless line. Works much better now.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Ss brake lines

Thanks guys that was the info I was looking for
              Mark
              78 E

Comment

Hey Guys,
                Some of the newer bikes use SS brake lines clad in black vinyl/rubber so they look original except for the thickness of them. Having said that, go to your local MC boneyard and look for some take offs from wrecked bikes. I did that when I fitted taller bars on mine and had to replace the main line from the MC to the equalizer. Works great and a lot cheaper than new SS lines.
                1980G Standard, Restored
                Kerker 4 - 1
                850 Rear End Mod
                2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                Automatic CCT
                1980GH Special, Restored
                Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                  When I first got my XS I couldnt figure out why the rear brake would not work at all. After rebuilding it all, it just aouldnt do anything. Eventually I checked the steel line...it was rusted **** in the middle. Now it is a single braided stainless line. Works much better now.
                  Natemoen, do you remember the length of the rear line? Also, what angles were the banjos?
                  1979 xs1100f
                  New Fuse Box
                  Progressive Shocks
                  Gold Valve Emulator
                  Dyna Coils
                  Electronic Flasher
                  Led Headlight
                  Led Turn Signals
                  4 Led Driving Lights
                  2nd Gear Fix
                  Auto Cam Tensioner
                  Digital Dash
                  Stainless Braided Lines
                  R6 4 Piston Calipers
                  Stainless Bolt Kit
                  Maier Fairing
                  Dyna Balancing Beads
                  Spin On Oil Filter
                  Stebel Nautilus Horn
                  Plasti Dip Rims
                  ISO Grips

Comment

Hey Rev- If you read my thread under product evaluations, there is a good price for S/S brake lines from Techna-Fit.

Btw, LED headlight is working well. Thanks for your help again!
                    1979 XS1100F
                    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRev View Post
                      Natemoen, do you remember the length of the rear line? Also, what angles were the banjos?
                      Nope, it was all in the stainless line kit I bought.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Rear 19"

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                        Nope, it was all in the stainless line kit I bought.
                        The lines Ian sent to tech-na fit for his 79F also fit my 80g should also fit 78e the rear line is 19" the rubbers they fit on to hold in place I had to cut off on the front and used the ones from my old lines the holding bands would not fit around their rubbers. the rear rubbers were good.

Comment

MtMark-- I just installed the Ian inspired Techna-Fit Black vinyl covered Stainless Steel lines, front and back. It was a snap, and they look good. $97, and I do not worry about blowing a 34 year old rubber line now.
                          79 F
                          Previously owned: (among others)
                          1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
                          1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
                          1973 Suzuki TM 125
                          1979 XS1100 F
                          2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
                          1991 BMW K75

Comment

Access to s/s brake lines

On Techna-Fit site in vintage section now list:

78e 4 line kit-$90.
                            79F 4line kit-$90.Fit 80g also but not listed
                            1980 MNS 4-line kit $91.also fits following models
                            SF
                            SG
                            SH
                            line colours come in Clear-Blue-Red-Black-Smoke-an None (I guess no coating)

This is great now someone who has a 81H who needs new lines were to send in their old lines we can all be safe happy xsers.

Comment

Advantage

Looks like the Techna-Fit replacements have a real advantage over the Chacal lines - specifically the pricing. Maybe we will see some reduction in price now that there is competition for them.

$100 compared to $300 for the same product is certainly questionable.

I found out that Chacal charges tax on shipping only after placing my third order with them. When I realized that they were, I argued that this was not a taxable item. Could not convince him otherwise. As a result, I elected for free (slower) shipping. May want to check into that if you order from them.

Funny thing - I have not had a single 30+ year old OEM rubber line to fail yet.

Mike
                              Last edited by MPittma100; 04-11-2014, 06:34 PM.
                              1981 XS1100H Venturer
                              K&N Air Filter
                              ACCT
                              Custom Paint by Deitz
                              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                              Stebel Nautilus Horn
                              EBC Front Rotors
                              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment