Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low horn voltage = wimpy horns on XJ

Hi all,

I was poking around my XJ trying to figure out why my horns are so wimpy, and I discovered that the +12V at the horn terminal was reading about 9.5 volts (open circuit). Voltages at the fuse panel all read 13.x, same as the battery. any ideas?

Use the aux fuse and a horn relay and a car horn. Use the stock horn button to control the relay, and run a 12 ga wire from the aux fuse to the relay, and then on to the horn. That's what I did on my bike years ago, and I've had no trouble. In fact, I just recently added a second horn to it. If you have any questions on how to wire it up, I'll be glad to explain it in the morning.

Comment

Factory horns are marginal at best. I put a set of Fiamms on my 80g. Used a relay to come off the aux. fuse and wired it in using my stock horn button. These are dual tone horns guarenteed to make the driver drop his cell phone and pay attention.
      When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

I have seen several posts regarding aftermarket horns and relays.
        I have done enough electical work that I SHOULD be able to do this modification without much difficulty.
        If one of you guys would take a little time and draw a diagram or post a few pics, it would be MUCH appreciated.
        I am just not picturing the horn relay, its connections, and location in my little mind.
        Thanks
        Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

ScottTenerman,

The most common cause for low votage is rusted connections somewhere. I would start with the horn button and connectors in the headlight bucket.
          DZ
          Vyger, 'F'
          "The Special", 'SF'
          '08 FJR1300

Comment

Originally posted by Dennyz
            ScottTenerman,

The most common cause for low votage is rusted connections somewhere. I would start with the horn button and connectors in the headlight bucket.
            Agreed, but I'd still recomend air horns.

Geezer
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Also, still working with the original horns, there is an adjusting screw on them that can make a world of difference in the sound. I finally got around to tweaking the horns on Black Ice last weekend and I must say it makes quite a respectable noise now. No, its not like an air horn, but its no wimpy sounding wheeze either.
              Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot
                Also, still working with the original horns, there is an adjusting screw on them that can make a world of difference in the sound. I finally got around to tweaking the horns on Black Ice last weekend and I must say it makes quite a respectable noise now. No, its not like an air horn, but its no wimpy sounding wheeze either.
                I've put air horns on every bike that I've kept as a regular ride since the late 1970's. It's sort of a tradition with me and I like the blast. ;o)

Geezer
                Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
                X