Special Front Wheel Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Front Wheel Removal

I hate to ask this question because I really feel stupid but I will anyway. I am trying to remove the front wheel on my '81 special and it doesn't look as easy as it sounds. The tire is 4" wide and the space between the caliper mounts, on the lower forks, is about 3.25". Do you have to remove the fender, take the fork brace off and rotate the fork tubes to take the wheel off? The work shop manual just says to take the wheel off.

Thanks for the help.
    Bill Murrin
    Nashville, TN
    1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
    1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
    2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
    2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
    1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
    2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Re: Special Front Wheel Removal

Originally posted by nashville_bill
    I hate to ask this question because I really feel stupid but I will anyway. I am trying to remove the front wheel on my '81 special and it doesn't look as easy as it sounds. The tire is 4" wide and the space between the caliper mounts, on the lower forks, is about 3.25". Do you have to remove the fender, take the fork brace off and rotate the fork tubes to take the wheel off? The work shop manual just says to take the wheel off.

Thanks for the help.
    Drop the calipers and let the air out of the tire.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I've gotten the wheel out of my special forks just my letting the air out - but I wouldn't suggest doing it that way. Dropping the calipers like Geezer says makes it a *lot* easier. I don't think you need to let all of the air out though.
      1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
      1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
      http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I went ahead and took the fender off, but now I have the shortcuts for the next time.
        Bill Murrin
        Nashville, TN
        2005 FJR1300 Newest ride

Comment

You should drop the fender and the calipers, then you can rotate the fork tubes to let the tire out.
          CUAgain,
          Daniel Meyer
          Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
          Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Yes, that's what I did and it was pretty painless. I wonder why the manuals don't mention that. I thought I was missing something.
            Bill Murrin
            Nashville, TN
            2005 FJR1300 Newest ride

Comment

Doh! Now I see the post where you say that. Heh heh . . .

In the manual (factory), I think it is in the supplements for the specials in the back where it mentions that . . .

You know those manuals . . .

Step 1: Remove the dilflack with a left handed spanner wrench . . .
              Step 2: Cross thread the two nexus nuts so that configuration A meets exploded section C (see supplemental volume 26-D for more information)

CUAgain,
              Daniel Meyer
              Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
              Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

After I was finished, I found a paragraph in the "SF" supplement that says: "Lower the wheel until the discs come off the calipers. Then turn the calipers outward to the extent of causing no obstacle to wheel removal and remove the wheel."

I didn't find this in the "SH" supplement. I guess you need to read all of them.
                Bill Murrin
                Nashville, TN
                2005 FJR1300 Newest ride

Comment

I did it by simply removing the fender and rotating the calipers out of the way. One of the discussions about dual brakes on the 650 in their forum was that dual brakes make wheel removal more complicated. I still haven't decided whether or not to modify that bike with dual brakes.

I've been more concerned about the unsprung weight issue than the wheel removal issue. As you know, once you've done it, taking the wheel off the XS1100 isn't much of a challenge.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

So Marty, we meet again. Having done both, the stainless steel braid hoses did more to improve braking than the double disking did on my XS650. That double disk experience served to help me pull the (identical!) front wheel out of my newly acquired XS11 Special in order to check the bearings and unfreeze those weird swivelling front calipers. Mind you, with the XS650 (and presumably) the XS11 Standard you just have to unbolt one caliper rather than removing the fender and rotating the lowers.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hey Fred

I have found that caliper removal is easy and taking them both off, and removing the fender, is the easiest way to remove the front tire on my 80 SG

Comment

r&r front wheel

I take off the calipers and let out the air to remove my tire. leave front fender in place. put a small floor jack w/block of wood on it under engine to gain some clearance ,with bike on center stand.
                        when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
                        80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

Working...
                        X