• Idle Mixture Screw - Broken Tip Removal

Fritz,
    Red Tarrents
    XS1100E "Big Red"
    IOOB #792669
    "Don't let the Bastards grind ya down!"

Idle Mixture Screw - Broken Tip Removal

Fritz,
    Check out the following link....... it may be of some help in your time of need!

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...Push+Pin+trick

There is a great source of XS1100 info in the archives to be had for the looking.....

Some great carb maint./overhaul stuff.
    Red Tarrents
    XS1100E "Big Red"
    IOOB #792669
    "Don't let the Bastards grind ya down!"

Comment

I used a screwdriver and a hammer.... scraped the carb bodies in the process, but I was pissed off.... tried to get em out for 2 weeks, so I didn't care anymore.

Gonna sand it down if I get the time. Gotta see what the expert says.

LP
      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

I tried both of the tricks listed in the previous post, with little luck. Maybe my tip was wedged in there a little tighter than others?
        I eventually came-up with a slightly modified idea that worked very well.
        With the push pin, and with the pick, the tool being used was pointed at the end, as is the broken tip. I found that the two pointed surfaces would glance off of each other, and the pointed tool would try to wedge itself into the area beside the broken pin, instead of pushing it out.
        I took a wire-type feeler gauge, selected the proper size wire to "just fit" into the hole in the carb body, and clipped a short section of this wire from the gauge. (about 1/2")
        By holding the wire with needle nose pliers, I was able to line it up with the broken tip, and apply gentle pressure on the end of the wire with a pair of channel lock pliers. (squeezing the wire and broken tip back into the barb body)
        My first attempt at this didn't work. I was afraid to apply too much pressure and damage the small orifice.
        What eventually made the difference was to apply some heat, with a small butane torch, directly to the area around the broken tip.
        One slight squeeze of the pliers, and viola!!
        Good luck, and if you use the torch method, don't forget the fire extinguisher!! )
        Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

Idle Mixture Screw - Broken Tip

Mine broke. I found 4 replacements at Rick's Cycle in SLC for about $5.00 each. I put them in and they broke off in the hole again. I got the tips out using the pin trick.(http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthrea...=Push+Pin+trick).
          I also had to grind the inside of the carburetors on top to get the tips out.
          I decided not to use these needles and snapped off the ends where they usually get stuck. Honestly, the bike runs fine without.
          [IMG]http://michaelwilliamandersen.ga[/IMG]

Comment

thought my troubles would be better chronicled in this thread. the original thread, with much more info is located here: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...threadid=10316

the story is I've got 4 broken tips and the first one I've tried to remove has brought me to the point where my hole is really mangled & I can no longer distinguish the carb body from the brass piece.

I've tried pins, picks, brads, and all of them have bent out of proportion. either I'm not getting the brss piece dead on due to the shape of the hole or its so stuck in there that it's not going to come out.

what would you do, xsive gurus? help me, I don't want to be deprived of riding for months on end because of a little piece of (br)ass!
            '78 xs1100e (red monster)
            '72 xs650 (big red)

Comment

Could not locate the post, but skids/randy or who ever has drilled out the broken pin successfully.

Measure size of new one to get the right size drill bit.
              Would probably fit in a dremal tool.

mro

Comment

Here, this should help

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...&threadid=8546
                Wrong link...sorry

Comment

I bought a Pin Vice and a # 60 drill bit

And drilled out the broken tip by hand. I came in from the top, and didn't try to rush it. You'll need a bright light and a magnifying glass to see down in there, but it can be done.

Comment

thanks John

New it was one of you guys, and was pretty sure but not positive about the drill bit size.

CRS has been with me for a few years, especially w/names

btw
                    how's that plug insert holding up???

mro

Comment

plug insert

As far as I know, it's holding up. The owner doesn't ride it much, and I haven't seen him in awhile, so I don't really know. It was his bike that I had to do the pilot screws on.

Comment

thanks guys, I got the idea w/ the pin vise & ended up drilling out all four tips with a #75 bit, albeit not consistently dead center . put em back on the bike & I was getting some good combustion at idle on #1 for a while but #2 was running rich and I couldn't change that. #3 and #4 looked good. ran pretty nicely all the way through the rpm range. then I tried to synch the carbs and threw everything off.

so I now have a straight hole where there used to be a funnel & the broken tips are still in there. the idle mixture screws sit at the top of the broken tips /w the holes drilled thru them and I guess fuel slips through but I have no adjustability. think the #60 bit would give the screw a chance to plug that hole & give me some control?

carbs are pretty much shot with that idle circuit, may be in the market for another set if these can't be restored. what's this liquid metal that pggg was talking about?
                        '72 xs650 (big red)

Comment

I found this reference to a product called "Quick Steel".

It's a web page based in the UK, but I've purchased it from auto stores and IIRC Walmart here as well!

Quick Steel UK Web Site

Here's another one.
                          http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Serv...poxy_putty.htm

A search for Liquid Steel didn't show any products like this!?
                          T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

searching for liquid metal brings up all this bogus stuff that's useless to me so thanks for the links TC, wouldn't have known what to look for otherwise.

makes me think about drilling out the holes completely but how would one safely apply some of that quicksteel in from the top while keeping the pilot tracts clear. would be pretty cool if we were able to restore the funnel & use the broken screws..

am on my last straws here, I get a liiitle bit of adjustment out of the first three but #4 is way out of whack and she runs like a dog when I try to synch. it's even more fun when your ears are broken and have no auditory reference to go by.

if only I could find a clean set of carbs so I can ride the bike while conducting such drastic experiments. does anyone have a good set lying around or know where to find one? aside from ebay, I'm already watching..
                            '72 xs650 (big red)

Comment

Working...
                            X