R/R Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R/R Replacement

Before I bought my 1100, I was more avid on the GS and Triples forum, and it got me to thinking. The GS had a rock engine, but poor electrical system. Ended-up being great tech tips replacing the shunt-based r/r with a newer mosfet (Shindengen FH022AA) based r/r found on many modern bikes today (I did this repair after my r/r died). I know one of the original guys trying to make a buck used Honda r/r's and sold those, but the mosfet-based r/r's proved superior, and many great how-to's were wrote-up concerning their installation.

My question is: is this possible to do with the XS with ease? I thought the XS system was wired differently, that may not have allowed the newer r/r's to be wired as easily as the GS.

But, if anybody is curious as to the pin-out of the mosfet r/r:

1, 2, 3 wires are stator wires
    4 is positive
    5 is sense (disregard)
    6 is ground

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...=175127&page=2
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

That's basically what ours are. 3 white wires are the stator with a yellow wire that's disregarded, then we have another plug with two wires from the alternator. You do know Geezer builds an aftermarket R/R unit for our bikes, right? You get to full charge at a much lower rpm than stock.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

There are just two basic regulator types, A & B. One feeds juice to the field coil and regulates by controlling the grounding (like the XS). The other regulates the juice to the field coil. I forget which is designated A and B, but that's the simple version..
      Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
        You do know Geezer builds an aftermarket R/R unit for our bikes, right? You get to full charge at a much lower rpm than stock.
        I bought one. It's a very nice component. OEM tend to burn out the rectifier side of things as it shares the same heat sink as the regulator. Geezer's sleek black version has two heat sinks, one for each side of things. Full charging was around 2,500rpm on mine, I seem to recall.

The Geezer one is such a nice looking bit of kit that it seemed a shame to cover it up!
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
          You do know Geezer builds an aftermarket R/R unit for our bikes, right? You get to full charge at a much lower rpm than stock.
          Yup, I'm aware. Kinda why I was hesitant to post this thread, as he builds a fine unit, and did not want to cut into his business. I did read that I'm not the first person to bring this up, as I just read a .org member mention the mosfet units. Does not seem to be an issue with our bikes, as I still have the stock unit on mine, as probably many other members as well. It's still a good mod, and I was wondering why the "geezer" r/r did not have a thread in the electrical mod section, let alone any other r/r mod.
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

It woildnt be in the mod section since it is a comercial product that he sells through his business.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

So, I'm re-visiting this idea, as I prepare my shopping list over the Winter. Okay, the Mosfet-based R/R has six pins, three of them would be for the stator "white" leads, while one is a sense pin (disregard), and the other two would be positive voltage from the battery and one for ground.

So, what do you do with the other connector which has the two leads from the alternator? Brown and dark green?
              1979 XS1100F

Comment

A regulator designed for a shunt-type charging system won't work properly on a XS. That type charging system uses permanent magnets for a rotor and operates at 100% capacity all the time, with the regulator 'shunting' the excess to ground; it's not really 'regulated'. A mosfet regulator is simply a more efficient version.

You can use this type with a XS charging system, but running the 'rotor' coil ('field coil' in Yamaha-speak) at 100% all the time won't be good for it. Those 'other' two wires connect to the 'rotor' (brown is 12V power to the rotor as well as being the 'reference' voltage for the regulator, and the green is the 'control' wire) and the regulator controls output by varying resistance to ground through the green wire (voltage/current on the coil, changing it's magnetic strength). The XS alternator is a atypical design different from most bikes, closer to the design of an automotive type.

The 'geezer' unit that Tony sells is designed specifically for the XS and has a different control voltage 'curve' to increase charging at lower speeds but maintains the same type of control.
                Last edited by crazy steve; 01-10-2014, 04:55 PM.
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Back when i had xs750's, i had regulator troubles on one of them. After considerable searching I found a Bosch automotive regulator that worked well, with good low speed output. They had a separate rectifier, but basically the charging system is the same on the 1100 so there's no reason why the same reg wouldnt work. I still have it somewhere out in the garage, and i remember that it was as cheap as chips so I'll dig it out and give the model number for anyone interested. Would still have to find a separate 3 phase rectifier but that should be pretty easy to track down at an auto wrecker.
                  1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                  2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Ahh, well crap. I was hoping it was an easy replacement like the GS was. Oh well, I guess I'll hold-out till my R/R craps out.
                    1979 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                    X