No Power but idles fine??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Power but idles fine??

i done some work on my bike (checked valve lash, timing, clean and sync carbs) and then when i started her she wasnt charging. so i replaced my inside coil and then i had to put a voltage regulator on her. after the voltage regulator she idles perfect and will idle all day long not a issue. BUT soon as i put her in gear and give her alittle bit of throttle she stalls out. no power like the brakes is holding her back but they are not. so i give her full throttle to get her running and i can only get 10-15 km/h out of her. i wonder if the voltage regulator or inside coil was the wrong size for my bike???? i can't see it being the carbs because she idles fine. what are your thoughts?
    1980 Yamaha XS1100LG Midnight Special

Pick up coils.

These bikes will idle fine running on 2 cylinders, but try to put some load on it and you'll see that it'll stall out or no power just on 2.

Check to see if you've got spark on all 4, Also you can check the header pipes to see which ones get hot and whick ones don't. This will help diagnose further.
    1/4 & 2/3 spark together while the carbs/fuel feed 1/2 & 3/4.
    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
    The Green Monster
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
    Got him in '04.
    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
    Scarlet
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
    Got her in '11
    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
    Hugo
    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
    Cold weather ride

Comment

Does it rev up to redline in neutral easily? If so they I don't think it's limping on 2 cylinders since it will struggle to get above 5k just on two. Lack of power might be gas starvation/running ridiculously lean if you know for sure you're on 4 cylinders.
      78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
      79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

Originally posted by captjanes View Post
        i done some work on my bike (checked valve lash, timing, clean and sync carbs) and then when i started her she wasnt charging. so i replaced my inside coil and then i had to put a voltage regulator on her. after the voltage regulator she idles perfect and will idle all day long not a issue. BUT soon as i put her in gear and give her alittle bit of throttle she stalls out. no power like the brakes is holding her back but they are not. so i give her full throttle to get her running and i can only get 10-15 km/h out of her. i wonder if the voltage regulator or inside coil was the wrong size for my bike???? i can't see it being the carbs because she idles fine. what are your thoughts?
        This goes against the grain so to speak of the 'ignition before fueling' rule of thumb, but your carbs internally unfortunately are NOT clean yet, IMO. That issue HAS to be tottally eliminated before moving on. Pick-up coils wires would likely not be an issue at idle since timing is not advancing moving wires around in there. Removing timing cover and pulling on them in half inch segments while running at an idle will quickly tell you yay or nay on that issue.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

BTW, not questioning your ability to clean the carbs, just always wonder what 'clean' means when I see it stated. Slides need to be removed in order to remove emulsion tubes that'll need a pointed toothpic to rotate in all the side holes even though they may look open and cleared. A tiny amount of build-up on the inside of the openings will change the metering of that system. If they are the later carbs with the pushed in seats, the O-rings will have to be replaced once removed. But they do need to come out to properly clean the tunnel behind them. Guessin' you knew that all ready tho.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I would not rule out ignition coil or coils. Not to awful long ago (matter of months) I worked on a local XSives bike that would idle relatively well, but any throttle and it would get a miss in it, more throttle, worse it got. It would run and get up to speed, even seem like it evened out in higher revs. Replaced the coils and life is good again.

Maybe not the exact same systems, but many years ago I had a car do just what your is doing. Start and idle like it was ready for the races. Give gas and it died. Start right back up fine. I could only give it just a feathering of the throttle. Drove the car 30 miles or so at 20-30 MPH to nurse it home. Ended up being the coil.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Working...
            X