Valve cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve cover

So... My bike has developed an oil leak. From looking on here, it seems that the culprit is most likely the valve cover. At first I thought that it was the base gasket. Puddle of oil by the base and right on the case. I can't see where it is leaking from above where the puddle accumulates. However, everyone says that its from the valve cover or cct. I know that the cct isn't leaking so that means VC.

My question is, are they the same? Between special vs standard at least? I see some on eBay for about $20. And looks like they will work according to the description. I just want to make sure.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100SG
    1984 Honda VF700F Interceptor
    1967 Yamaha YL2C

I would still go with the CCT, what makes you say it isn't the CCT?

Don't bother with a gasket under the valve cover, use RTV or if you are lucky the gasket will come off in good shape and you can re-use it.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I've already replaced the cct with an auto. It was leaking and I had to fix it. Hasn't leaked for a while. That was the first place I check for a leak. Bone dry.

Why do you say don't worry about using a gasket? Do they fail more often then is worth?
      Ive used RTV on some stuff. Gaskets seem a little more "professional" in a way.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100SG
      1967 Yamaha YL2C

Comment

In the days of my youth I prided myself on always using factory gaskets and not that messy RTV stuff. Of course in the days of my youth, it was not the same product it is today, or as easy to use. But I now feel I wasted a lot of time and money.

Now, I use RTV for most of my gasket needs. It is inexpensive, easy to get, and if you clean the surfaces well to start with, it seals just about 100% of the time. Best recommendation is to pull the cover off, clean off the gasket from both sides (if it is leaking now, no point reusing it as it will leak then also). Now put the RTV on the head, it will be a little trying to get it in all the right places, but much easier than trying to get the cover in place, over the cams and other things without screwing up your bead of RTV on it.

With the cover in place, tighten the bolts by hand. Wait the allotted time, and tighten them down 1/4 turn or so. You can even torque the bolts to spec if you like, done it several times myself with not a drip.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Okay thanks sounds good.

Brings me to another question. I was planning on checking/shimming the valves while I was in there. 1)where is the best place to get the shims? And 2)anything else I should do while the cover is off?
          1980 Yamaha XS1100SG
          1967 Yamaha YL2C

Comment

Originally posted by Azoroth View Post
            Okay thanks sounds good.

Brings me to another question. I was planning on checking/shimming the valves while I was in there. 1)where is the best place to get the shims? And 2)anything else I should do while the cover is off?
            Check to make sure the timing dots line up to the cam caps. (should already be there, but nice to know 100% fer sure)

Shims can be got from the dealer. (call them first and see if they'll swap with the ones you bring them. 1 for 1)
            I bought some from the BMW dealer about $8 each.
            Just make sure that they are the right diameter. There are some out there that a just a millimeter too big.

The sucky part is, you won't know what size(s) you need until you get in there and measure and see what shim is in there already.

You may (probably) will be able to swap one shim from one bucket to another, etc and may only need 1 or 2 'new' ones.
            Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
            The Green Monster
            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
            Got him in '04.
            bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
            Scarlet
            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
            Got her in '11
            Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
            Hugo
            Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
            Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by Azoroth View Post
              So... My bike has developed an oil leak. - - -
              Hi Kade,
              how much of a leak?
              If your boots get oil-slicked and slide off the pegs and you have to carry quart jugs of oil in your saddlebags everywhere you ride, best that it's fixed.
              (BTDT)
              If it just marks it's turf like a well maintained Britbike and it ain't getting worse over time, oil's cheap, live with it.
              (BTDT too)
              Last edited by fredintoon; 10-28-2013, 02:30 PM.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

how hard will it be to get the cover off next time.?

will it be glued on there.?
                Steven

1981 XS 1100 LH
                1979 XS 1100 SF

Comment

Originally posted by Gallaecus View Post
                  how hard will it be to get the cover off next time.?

will it be glued on there.?
                  No more than a paper gasket, and sometimes less than a paper gasket.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

azoroth, I would also replace the cam-end plugs with new while valve cover is off. Clean the recesses oil free and a thin film of high-temp grey or black with a dob of that in each top corner where rubber meets the valve cover would be advised. If you have Yamabond, toss it in the trash, as it will eventually allow a oil seep there. Be sure and locate the end plugs correct direction with lip to the inside.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Check the oil pipe copper washers if you're leaking on the back side of your engine.
                      78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
                      79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

Originally posted by D0wn5h1ft View Post
                        Check the oil pipe copper washers if you're leaking on the back side of your engine.
                        True, there is also the oil pressure sender right there that could be leaking as well.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                        X