Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Putting bike back together, measuring shim gaps for good measure, ran into huge gaps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ff255away View Post
    All 4 valves are bent. I had the exhaust valves professionally replaced, so that means I must have screwed up the timing pretty bad when I set everything back together. I'll be taking it into a shop to get the four intake valves replaced.

Can anybody recommend a shop north of Seattle? And a fair estimate to replace all four intake valves? The guy who did my two exhaust valves charged 50 dollars a valve, and I provided the parts.
    Why not do it your self at this point? Only special tool you need is a spring compressor I believe. 4 valves are probably going to run you about 2 bills to start then another 2 for labor, ouch.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Looks like Marshy got to respond before I finished typing this.

You can do this job yourself and save big bucks!

The valves can be found here:
      http://www.newmotorcycleparts.com/mo...ts/valves.html
      $18 each (near the bottom of the page)

I got one from them 3 years ago and it was perfect.

You're going to have to take the head off anyway to take it to the shop, so all you really need is a spring compressor.
      I used a big C clamp and a little homemade adapter to get the 2 keepers out.
      Here's the tech tip:
      http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35575

You can use just about anything you can dream up as the adapter tool to get around the valve stem.

You may want to get a lapping tool (harbor freight or any auto store)
      It's basically a stick with a suction cup on the end. Then you can rotate the valve in the seat and make sure that it fully seats 360 degrees around the circumference.

Put the clamp back on, use a little magnet or some forceps or small needle nose and put the keepers back in, let off the clamp and bam! DONE, 3 left to go.

Once you're done, (as you have already found out) be careful and meticulous when putting the cams back in. Make sure the dots are lined up as close as they can be before you start tightening down on the cam caps.
      You may even be able to slightly rotate the cam as you're tightening the caps down to keep the cam lined up.
      Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
      The Green Monster
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
      Got him in '04.
      bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
      Scarlet
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
      Got her in '11
      Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
      Hugo
      Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
      Cold weather ride

Comment

For the valve removal, I use a large C-clamp and a PVC pipe end cap with a hole/window cut out of it to reach in and get the keepers with a magnet. I do not have a pic handy.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Whoa! That's kinda expensive! Definitely find another machine shop that specializes in cylinder head work. I paid $150 for install of four valves, grinding, lash, etc.
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post

You may want to get a lapping tool (harbor freight or any auto store)
            It's basically a stick with a suction cup on the end. Then you can rotate the valve in the seat and make sure that it fully seats 360 degrees around the circumference.

Just a length of fuel line stuck onto the valve stem and some valve lapping compound, found at just about any auto parts store will work. It doesn't take much. Just look for the new shiny surface hopefully right in the middle of the valve face. It's easy to go overboard on this, so just simple twisting with the fuel line and your fingers will do. NO POWER TOOLS SUCH AS A DRILL! And then be sure to remove any trace of lapping compound. You don't want that stuff going into your cylinders.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own