repainting XJ11 side panels - Side panel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• repainting XJ11 side panels - Side panel question

I have the tank prepped to paint but I can't figure out what is the easiest proper way to remove the center painted triangle in the side panels and then to remove the badge "Maxim" from that inner panel so I can paint those panels too & then re-assemble to put back together.

Once I get that done, how do you re-attach the painted part back onto its aluminum frame & then how to attach the badge "Maxim"?

If there's a known answer I'd rather do that than guess and make a mess of things.

Gary
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

The plastic inserts are held on with trim clips, you have to pry them off carefully.... You can get replacement clips at most any well-stocked hardware store, so if any break don't sweat it. To reinstall, just press the clips on.

The emblem is attached with two-sided tape. You find that at some auto parts stores, for sure at a auto body supply, but you may have to buy a full roll.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thanks Steve, great info. I'll do just that.

Gary
      82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Hi Gary,
        Use some fishing line or dental floss to "slice' off the emblem held with tape. I recommend 3M brand tape, if you can find it, for reattaching.
        Will cost more $$$ AND will work. as a life long member in good standing of Cheap Bastards this is a heart felt suggestion.
        Phil
        Last edited by MaximPhil; 10-02-2013, 09:35 PM.
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
        X