Three times the charm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three times the charm

Going on my 3rd speedo gear drive replacement. Thought I packed the last one well, guess not. Do they come apart for cleaning/repacking. What method works best to clean and repack with grease. For a standard.
    BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Originally posted by Nubian View Post
    Going on my 3rd speedo gear drive replacement. Thought I packed the last one well, guess not. Do they come apart for cleaning/repacking. What method works best to clean and repack with grease. For a standard.
    Yep, they come apart. There's a snap ring you need to pop off, then the drive gear comes out. There's a washer (or two; it's been a while), pay attention to where that goes. The driven gear isn't removable. Clean it up with solvent, make sure you get plenty of grease around the driven gear before reassembling.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
      Yep, they come apart. There's a snap ring you need to pop off, then the drive gear comes out. There's a washer (or two; it's been a while), pay attention to where that goes. The driven gear isn't removable. Clean it up with solvent, make sure you get plenty of grease around the driven gear before reassembling.
      Right you and Andreas are!
      Globs of grease covered everything once cleaned off clip was visible.

Finished, i rotated the gear driven drive to grease thoroughly before packing it in.
      BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Working...
      X