XJ11 Tension bar dislodged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ11 Tension bar dislodged

Recently I've been feeling a rough ride in the rear, like my shocks were needing more air. Today I felt a bump particularly hard and when I got home removed the vetter sidebags to have a look and I found the tension bar had come dislodged and the rear brake had run into the right rear shock. The SS brake lines paid off because they are tensioned to the maximum as you can see in the photos below.

The last time I touched these brakes or had the wheel off was last year and I just noticed this now. I had the bags off maybe 5-6 weeks ago to show a friend how they come off and at that time the shocks and rear brake line were fine. So this happened recently.

I'm going up to remove the tension bar and insert the notch where it belongs again on the rear arm.

But what would cause this to happen out of the blue?

Thanks,

Gary
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

The tension bar went easily back into its slot but whatever made it pop out may well happen again. I can't see why something so hefty as that notch in the bar and the piece in the rear arm it goes into would dislodge.

I'd mentioned in an earlier thread about the rear brake light giving me problems in that the console brake warning light was always on. In light of this I'm wondering if there's a connection except the rear brake still appears to work and the rear master cylinder is still full of brake fluid.

Going to need an easy out for the oil nipple as it was sheared off in the impact. Cut the heck out of the back of the rubber accordion on the shock.

I will have to have another brake line made for even though this one works fine, after this stress to it I can't chance it blowing out.

What a PITA time for this to happen, I was planning a long ride tomorrow. Ain't it always the way... At least no other damage happened & other than this, all is well!
    Last edited by KA1J; 09-24-2013, 07:28 PM.
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Hey there,

Like you said, that bracket is quite stiff, and the notched peg is also strong, and with the rear axle in place, there's really no way for that bracket to get BENT to pry it out/away from that peg. SO...I hate to say it but I think you may not have had it in that notch when you were working on the rear tire the last time. You might have had it positioned at first, but then something happened like fiddling with the spacer, etc. that allow the bracket to wiggle and the notch to come out from the peg. THEN the torque of the axle castle nut against the spacer/bracket and swingarm kept it in relative good functional position until you had to get on the rear brake a bit harder and that's what caused it to finally rotate pulling on the brake line!?

Like you said, glad it was only this, and that you discovered and fixed it before a more serious event occured!

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hi TC,

That's a common sense answer and while it's probable that is what happened, the last time I had the wheel off was when I put the Commander II tires on and that was in the spring of last year. I've put around 5K on the bike since then. Hard to believe it wouldn't have showed up till just now.

Now to get an easy out & hope to get the brake nipple out & a new one in.

And then to clean the bike better. Having the saddlebags on all the time hides a lot of dirt. What close up photos reveal...

Gary

Comment

Working...
        X