No spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No spark

Im rebuilding my xs1100 standard and i need a wiring diagram or tips on what might be the problem to why I am not getting a spark to my cylinders.. I getting desperate.. ive been working on this project since last winter and i want to see her on the road again..
    XS11 Standard

I suggest you do the seach on this website. Here is what comes to mind:

Check all 4 wires. Coils are in pairs 1-4 and 2-3.
    If none spark,
    Bad fuse or connection for ignition.
    Tip-over switch cutting off inition.
    Check batter voltage for cranking. You need about 10.2 volts to get the ignition box to fire plugs.
    It isn't likely to have both sets of pick-up wires go bad, but I suppose anything is possible.
    Connections all clean?
    Kill switch on right handgrip?
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I will check over these steps and get back to you.. but do you know where i can track down a wiring diagram for the bike?
      XS11 Standard

Comment

A few links....first one is for downloading online manuals and such:

http://www.ringler.us/family/mybike.html

Second is in our LINKS section for wiring diagrams.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10660

Hey Arab-biker,

I didn't look at your profile, but you didn't specify what YEAR!
        The early model series 78-80 used the 1.5 ohm ignition/spark plug coils with the Ballast Resistor, the 81-84 used 3 ohm coils without the Ballast resistor.

However, the Ballast resistor is BYPASSED during the starting/cranking phase by the TCI to provide stronger full 12 volts to the ignition coils for stronger starting spark, but then routes THRU the B.R. once started. So..it's doubtful that the B.R. is the problem for no start spark. But it can be problematic if able to fire to start, but then won't stay running!

Skids covered most of the things, aside from ensuring that you have inspected, cleaned, dielectric greased ALL of the harness connectors....will go a long way in eliminating electrical gremlins. Don't forget the connectors to the TCI. Also, ensure both main grounds are clean...battery negative to frame AND the engine/starter bolt strap to frame behind engine below battery case!!

And regarding FUSES...if still using the OEM glass fuses and flimsy brass clips holder, they are also problematic, and we highly suggest replacing with a newer solid fuse style holder. I resell them for COST...see FOR SALE forum, Parts forum, then Parts/Services by members sticky thread, post #10 for info /photos, and ordering info. I'm out of State for vacation and XS SouthEast rally this week, won't be home till next Monday before I can ship! However, I see you're in Birmingham, I'll be leaving Enterprise, AL. on Friday AM going thru Phenix City(Yes, that's the correct spelling for ALABAMA ), so you could come meet me there to get one, I brought a few with me for Rally members just in case!

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Make sure your ground wire from the ignition box is grounded. If I remember correctly when I was wiring up my trike i forgot to ground the box and I wasn't getting any spark.

Comment

I had a bad kill switch. I jumpered across it for a while until I could find another one.
            79 XS11

Comment

Working...
            X