Swing Arm Adjustment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swing Arm Adjustment?

Hi Guys, Finishing up final drive conversion on my 80G. Had to install a new swing arm boot. Installed the swing arm and checked the centering gaps on both sides of the swing arm. Is the swing supposed to slide horizontally on the pivot bolts about 1/8 inch either way in the frame? This doesn't seem right. What is the best method to center it in the frame. Be back to the office computer in a couple hrs. Got to take of some things in the field. Thanks for any input and advice.

Originally posted by kflyboy View Post
    Is the swing supposed to slide horizontally on the pivot bolts about 1/8 inch either way in the frame?
    No it isn't, tighten each allen bolt in some so there is no play, don't overtighten, should be 47 inch pounds. Check again to make sure it is centered. Then tighten the large lock nuts. Eyeballing it should be ok, using a feeler guage to check the clearances is a bit overkill IMHO.
    Last edited by bikerphil; 09-23-2013, 07:49 AM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
      No it isn't, tighten each allen bolt in some so there is no play, don't overtighten, should be 47 inch pounds. Check again to make sure it is centered. Then tighten the large lock nuts. Eyeballing it should be ok, using a feeler guage to check the clearances is a bit overkill IMHO.
      Thanks for the help.

Comment

My eyes have never been over calibrated, so I use a dial caliper to verify the gap is pretty close. Still, no need to try to be down to a nats butt hair. And yes, INCH pounds. Made that mistake before going ft-lbs.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
          My eyes have never been over calibrated, so I use a dial caliper to verify the gap is pretty close. Still, no need to try to be down to a nats butt hair. And yes, INCH pounds. Made that mistake before going ft-lbs.
          Thanks for the tips.

Comment

OK, here's a question for you chassis tuning gurus.
            Ideally, the rear wheel and front wheel should have their tire contact centerlines in the same line. If you are a little off with the rear swing arm alignment, the rear contact point will be a little to one side or the other of the front wheel contact point.
            What affect will that have on the balance or tracking of the bike?
            CZ

Comment

It would have to be pretty far off to cause any real problem CZ. The frame on trbigs XJ is bent and it doesn't slow him down a bit.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                Hey Don,

If you wear glasses and have had an eye exam, you HAVE had your eyes calibrated!

At 14" the healthy human eye can resolve to about 75 microns, and at 2.5 feet about 250 microns, or 1/4mm. Of course this ability to see the difference is size/position is with the objects next to each other. With the wide positioning of the swing arm bearing gaps it's a bit more difficult to be able to gauge/judge the actual width similarity with just visual memory.

So..kflyboy, if you don't have a caliper handy, then you can just take some stiff plastic and cut some strips of varying size, incrementally 1 mm largery/wider with each one, and then just hold that up to the S.A. gaps and compare, and then adjust accordingly!

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                  Hey Don,

If you wear glasses and have had an eye exam, you HAVE had your eyes calibrated!
                  Agree TC, but since I go to Sam's Optical, and it has been since 2010, the level of calibration is certainly suspect. Although now I find I see fine with the glasses at a distance, but have to look over /under the spectacles to see up close. Thus the reason I no longer wear contacts. Old age sucks!!!
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by dgxser View Post
                    old age sucks!!!
                    +1 .......................
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

No, getting old isn't for sissies!
                      And the alternative to getting old isn't fun either!
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                      X