Midnight Special Carbs on a '79

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midnight Special Carbs on a '79

I just picked up a set of midnight special carbs for a 79 standard that I'm building and I'm curious as to if they will work. From what I've read they will obviously need to be rejetted but is there anything else with them that would make them incompatible?

Also, where would I go to find new jets for it? Is there a specific model number for these carbs that I'll have to have to find jets?
    Last edited by D0wn5h1ft; 09-21-2013, 12:39 PM.
    78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
    79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

As for the jets, you're looking for Mikuni small round jets. BS34's are the carbs. Anything in the area will stock them in a tackle box in their shop
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by D0wn5h1ft View Post
      I just picked up a set of midnight special carbs for a 79 standard that I'm building and I'm curious as to if they will work. From what I've read they will obviously need to be rejetted but is there anything else with them that would make them incompatible?

Also, where would I go to find new jets for it? Is there a specific model number for these carbs that I'll have to have to find jets?
      Try them first, do the sync and plug read, see what you have ?
      76 XS650 C ROADSTER
      80 XS650 G Special II
      https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
      80 XS 1100 SG
      81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
      https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
      AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Originally posted by D0wn5h1ft View Post

Those carbs will work fine. Jetting stock would be 42.5pilot jets and 110main jets all across. Air jets on back of carb bell will be 185. That jetting will work fine as long as your bike has stock intake and stock exhaust. Any main jet changes need to be done with Genuine Mikuni jets, not aftermarket. Genuine Mikuni will have their curly insignia opposite side of jet number. BTW, main jets are the large Mikuni, not small Mikuni. Without more bike info, that'll get you started. Jets are available at a local bike shop, prefferably at a Yammy, Suzy, or Kawi. dealer. Honda dealer would be of no help as Honda uses Kiehn carbs exclusively.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

First off, I am assuming the carbs are from an 80 or an 81. I have heard this many times: small mains vs. large mains. It does not matter - it is just a different style and the metering of fuel is the same. They are just a different style. I can't speak of the hexagonal main jets however. I can tell you that the method of venting the carbs is different for the later carbs. There is no need to run hoses from the nipples on the airbox to the carbs. Instead there is another hole in the inlet bells of the carbs. You might want to put caps on the airbox nipples though or you could suck unfiltered dust into the carbs/engine. Jetting will prettey much be stock 80 and 81 rather than trying to converting everything to the year of the rest of the bike. nless you have different pipes or pods or something like that, there should be no need to change jetting. (depending on my first assumption)
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

The thing to remember is jetting follows the carbs, not the bike. The '80-up carbs are jetted a bit lean from the factory, so it's acceptable to bump the main jets up a size or two. DO NOT try to 'convert' the carbs to the bike if you're using late carbs on a early motor or vice-versa....
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...