Is this normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this normal?

I was talking apart the carbs to reset the needles to the stock height and I wanted to check out the vacuum diaphragm, and I noticed this happening:

So my question is whether this is normal or not?
    Last edited by spayne83; 09-20-2013, 11:28 AM.
    79 SF 3H3 Engine, 145/45 Mikuni Jets, El Cheapo Pod Filter Mod w/ EMGO Pods, Coil Repower w/ Dyna Coils, Accell Wires and Side Gapped Plugs, 78 Mech Advance, 4-2 Turnouts

There is a vent hole in the slide that should allow the slide to go up and down in a metered amount with that intake covered. I noticed that there was liquid (fuel?) coming out of the bowl vent on 2 of them, possibly caused by the pressure imposed by the slide springs forcing air down into the bowls. It seems to me that there is some blockage in the slide vents.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

That is perfectly normal operation with your thumb over the large oval vent hole. That in fact is the written test procedure. If the slides had dropped quickly that would be an indication that your diaphragm had a rupture.

The gurgling gas is probably from flipping the carbs upside down and back, no worries there.
      Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Working...
      X