Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Midnight Special Carb Rebuild - I'm finally making progress!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midnight Special Carb Rebuild - I'm finally making progress!

First and foremost, a HUGE thanks to Nate for his help and patience!

This past Sunday Nate came over to help tinker with the bike. First we put the carbs back in to see if we could get it running before teardown. We came close a few times, but erratic idle and eventually some thick smoke made us stop. He pulled the oil plug and confirmed I had a lot of gas in my oil - it ran out like water and you could smell the gas. He also pulled the oil filter and showed me the washer I was missing to go with the spring. Add those to the list!

He then showed me the teardown process for my carbs, explaining what each bit does, where it goes, and what might need replaced. He's a wealth of information!

Currently the carbs are separated in the garage, and I'm going to start the deep clean. I'm picking up a kids toothbrush with some soft bristles, and Nate was kind enough to give me some brushes for those hard to reach areas.

I've already ordered 2 replacement oil filters, 2 ball bearings for the choke plunger, and a replacement washer from Speed And Sport.

Today after work I'm heading to harbor Freight to get some replacement screws, since the majority of the ones we took off needed to be replaced anyway.

I'm going to order the replacement pilot jet (one was damaged) from Jets R Us once I can confirm that #42.5 is the correct size for the BS 34MM Mikunis.

Also, I messaged the gentleman on www.CycleORings.com to see if he still has his sets available, so I can replace all the worn rubber items. You can't beat $14 for the whole kit 'n kaboodle!

Wish me luck! I would have never made it this far if it wasn't for you guys!
    1981 Yamaha Midnight Special XS1100LH

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around"

Good luck, although you will need a lot less with the help you have here and nearby.

On the jets, make sure you get the BS30/96 style, with six holes. and yes 42.5 pilot jets is stock for all 79-81 models.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Could also get the nitril o-ring kit at harbor freight and that has the right size o-rings for the needle seats.

Like I mentioned in my text, I forgot to pull the idle mix screws out. There should be a spring, then a washer, and then a o-ring on there. I do not know of the hardor freight set has the right size o-ring for that. It might but I am just not sure, it is a small o-ring.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
        Could also get the nitril o-ring kit at harbor freight and that has the right size o-rings for the needle seats.

Like I mentioned in my text, I forgot to pull the idle mix screws out. There should be a spring, then a washer, and then a o-ring on there. I do not know of the hardor freight set has the right size o-ring for that. It might but I am just not sure, it is a small o-ring.
        Sounds good - I remember seeing that in the step-by-step guide. I have to be careful not to lose those pieces.

I'm also going to see about getting those screws at HF, anything is better than the ones that were slapped in there with red loc-tite.
        1981 Yamaha Midnight Special XS1100LH

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around"

Comment

Originally posted by Munky View Post
          Sounds good - I remember seeing that in the step-by-step guide. I have to be careful not to lose those pieces.

I'm also going to see about getting those screws at HF, anything is better than the ones that were slapped in there with red loc-tite.
          I bent a large paper clip into a U shape and then ground/dremeled/filed it into just the right fish hook to hook those washers and O-rings out just to check them ( sometimes took a number of tries ) never found one bad but did find a few that were missing parts.
          76 XS650 C ROADSTER
          80 XS650 G Special II
          https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
          80 XS 1100 SG
          81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
          https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
          AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Yes, the nitrile O-ring set from HF has a good size for those mix screw O-rings. Not sure if HF will have them, but I would suggest stainless socket head cap screws for the carbs, I use them on both the diaphragm caps and the float bowls.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Working...
            X