No announcement yet.

Dremel Fix ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And again... carbon is absent from your statement, the whole determining factor. Yup... It's me that's the stubborn one.

And yes, I will be trying this. With carbon.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Good luck.
      80 SG XS1100
      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Originally posted by tarzan View Post
        I have a bit experience with hardening metals.
        BTW, I will try and remember to take my old gears to work and check hardness, I ground on them too, so I can test both, an area I ground on, and an area that I haven't ground.
        Hardness testing of case hardened metals is generally not done, you get a false reading, the outer skin may be hard but sometimes only a few thou thickness and as hardness testing is indenting the metal you indent into the soft inner.

Kasenit powder can be used for rolling cherry red steel into, but better results are achieved if using a fire box, a cast iron box full of Kasenit with the metal inside and the lid fire clay sealed, and left in a hardening oven for a few days at 850oC. One place I worked used crushed carbon, much like BBQing charcoal crushed into a rough powder in the fire box, the longer you leave it the deeper the hardness.
        Tom
        1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
        1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
        1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
        1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Working...
        X