Mechanical Advance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanical Advance

Hi guys, I saw the thread on servicing the mechanical advance. At 72000 mi. on my 80G, thought it would be a good idea to take care of that. There are 2 clyndrical things that are notched and fit down into the case with what looks like washers attached to all-thread in the middle of them. These hold the main base plate to the engine case. Is there a special tool to remove them or is this not to be serviced? I need some input. Thanks for all of your help!

Umm, I.can't really think of what you're talking about. But, the only thing holding that advance on to the crankshaft is a snap ring in-feont of the reluctor, and the timing plate bolt. Once those two come off, and you pull the big timing mechanism casting off, that reluctor literally pulls right off the crank.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Those are tamper proof fasteners used on the 80 models due to EPA at the time. You will need to drill them out. The easiest way is find a drill bit that just fits inside the collar and drill till the head of the tamper proof screw inside comes off. You can then remove them with a pliers and replace them with some 6MM metric bolts with a normal washer and hex head.

Edit: Look at post #11 in this thread....

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...er+proof+bolts
      Last edited by bikerphil; 09-13-2013, 08:13 AM.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Mechanical advance

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
        Those are tamper proof fasteners used on the 80 models due to EPA at the time. You will need to drill them out. The easiest way is find a drill bit that just fits inside the collar and drill till the head of the tamper proof screw inside comes off. You can then remove them with a pliers and replace them with some 6MM metric bolts with a normal washer and hex head.

Edit: Look at post #11 in this thread....

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...er+proof+bolts
        Thanks for the tip and and advice on how to get them out!!

Comment

Working...
        X