Trash in the Crankcase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trash in the Crankcase

Flipped my XJ1100 engine upside down to do the tranny fix. When I took the oil pan off I found it filled with aluminum chips. Any ideas?
    82 XJ

Pics?

Are you sure it's aluminum and not bits of metal from the skipping gears?
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

This is aluminum. It doesn't hold to the magnet, and there is a lot of it. The guy that had this bike ahead of me was on the way to making it a rat. When I removed the clutch side cover I found what looks like a radial grove that looks like it doesn't belong, and may have been caused by a clutch bolt that had backed out. I don't have another cover to compare it to.
      I would love to upload pictures, but I can't find the button below this window that is labeled "Manage Attachments"
      82 XJ

Comment

Originally posted by senrak View Post
        This is aluminum. It doesn't hold to the magnet, and there is a lot of it. The guy that had this bike ahead of me was on the way to making it a rat. When I removed the clutch side cover I found what looks like a radial grove that looks like it doesn't belong, and may have been caused by a clutch bolt that had backed out. I don't have another cover to compare it to.
        I would love to upload pictures, but I can't find the button below this window that is labeled "Manage Attachments"
        You need a photo hosting site like "photobucket.com" to post pics.Then you can post the link right in the thread, and the pic will display.
        80 SG XS1100
        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

82 XJ

Comment

Hey there,

Those do look like aluminum shavings that could have come from the clutch case cover.

This is the only photo I have or could find of the inner side of the clutch case cover....there are a few casting marks, but not a complete 360 degree scoring around the throwout lever.

Now the question is why did it happen? Was the PO in there before, and could he have installed the clutch incorrectly, not getting it properly seated onto the shaft so that the entire basket stuck outwards a bit too far....vs. just one or some of the STAR PLATE bolts backing out and scraping on it??

This is a closeup image of the STAR PLATE and shows how recessed the bolts are supposed to be in it!

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Good thing the filter screen was good on the oil pump or all that would have circulated in your engine.
              Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
              The Green Monster
              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
              Got him in '04.
              bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
              Scarlet
              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
              Got her in '11
              Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
              Hugo
              Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
              Cold weather ride

Comment

That had to have been making a hell of a racket...

Don't sweat the aluminum shavings though. Looks like you've figured out where they came from. Copper colored shavings (Bearings) and steel shavings are a worry. Clean everything out of the filter screen and the pan, then go back to what you were doing. Just make sure you've got 6 bolts to put back in the star plate on the clutch. And torque them correctly. It's easy to over-torque those and break the heads off.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100

Comment

Do those pressure plate bolts show any wear or polishing?
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Wow! Surprised you didnt hear that happening.
                    Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
                    Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
                    Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
                    Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
                    Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
                    K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                    81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by senrak View Post
                      Flipped my XJ1100 engine upside down to do the tranny fix. When I took the oil pan off I found it filled with aluminum chips. Any ideas?
                      I hope you pulled the pan BEFORE you flipped the bike. If not there will be more of that crap up in the engine and tranny.
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I figure the PO did the deed. Young guy with enough mechanical experience to get him in trouble. Definitely went on before I owned it. Had to be a bolt on that star plate that backed out. I would have wondered were all that aluminum went and pulled the pan. No big deal. I've done more cleaning on this bike then anything else.
                        82 XJ

Comment

I think I would pull the valve cover and have a good look in there.

The Other Earl
                          80SG, 81SH, 80 standard parts bike, 81SH parts bike
                          and new to me 78 standard dresser

Comment

Originally posted by Old Red View Post
                            I think I would pull the valve cover and have a good look in there.

The Other Earl

Why? Aluminum shavings aren't going to hurt the cams, valve shims, buckets, or anything else up there.

If you're worried about it, clean everything best you can including your old oil filter, put the cheapest Walmart special oil you can find in it, run it just a bit, then change the oil and filter.

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100

Comment

I guess I am just too cautious, but with the engine flipped some of the trash could get in the timing chain. I would turn the engine over several times by hand to make sure the chain is ok. A small piece of trash could get between the cam lobe and valve shim and act as an additional shim taking away valve clearance.

This would be a good time to adj vales.

The Other Earl
                              80SG, 81SH, 80 standard parts bike, 81SH parts bike
                              and new to me 78 standard dresser

Comment

Working...
                              X