Getting old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting old

Having difficulty getting my Special to idle. Suspect it is just the throttle cable but in working on it I got the idle adjustment screw way out of line. Now I can't remember if clockwise turns (facing front of bike) increase or decrease the idle. Senior moment.

Thanks
    1995 KZ100P
    Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
    Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

It's a typical screw. If you were looking at it from the bottom, clockwise raises the idle, counter-clockwise drops it.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
      It's a typical screw. If you were looking at it from the bottom, clockwise raises the idle, counter-clockwise drops it.
      Same from the top(guessin' those are same year carbs as bike).
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Didn't think about that. Sorry. The XJ has the screw down at the bottom.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
          Didn't think about that. Sorry. The XJ has the screw down at the bottom.
          No apology needed trbig, clockwise still faster and counterclocwise slower. Just clearing any possible confusion related to orientation. Continue riding safe!
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I had gotten them so screwed up that it was hard to figure rpm change regardless of what I did to the screw.
            1995 KZ100P
            Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
            Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

Carbs out of synch will do that as well as if you've got an air leak in one of the intake boots.

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100