carburetor blues wtf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oldnortonrider View Post
    I thought the brass floats were to be set as follows; .25.7mm plus or minus 1.0mm ~~ 24.7mm - 26.7mm
    The 23mm setting is for the "plastic" floats; ¿Am I not right on this?
    That be correct....
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Yes, the older 78-79 carb floats get set to 25.7mm +/-1mm
      With that big of a +/- seems useless to worry about 25.5 vs 25.7

As for the jetting and the early model 80 carbs with the rubber cap over the pilots, the pilot jets get fed from the main jets, just like in the 78-79 carbs. Yet they still use the 110 or 120 mains like the rest of the 80-81 style with no crossover and no plug over the pilot jet tunnel. That's the part that never makes sense to me, but to many folks who have worked on them and had them running quite well swear to it. So I go into sponge mode.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
        Yes, the older 78-79 carb floats get set to 25.7mm +/-1mm
        With that big of a +/- seems useless to worry about 25.5 vs 25.7

As for the jetting and the early model 80 carbs with the rubber cap over the pilots, the pilot jets get fed from the main jets, just like in the 78-79 carbs. Yet they still use the 110 or 120 mains like the rest of the 80-81 style with no crossover and no plug over the pilot jet tunnel. That's the part that never makes sense to me, but to many folks who have worked on them and had them running quite well swear to it. So I go into sponge mode.
        FWIW, 1mm change equals approx. 2-2.5mm of actual fuel level as I can 'hose' my 81 carbs while running at an idle(correct way of checking fuel levels for the 81's and XJ's, which is 3mm below carb body casting). Verified this with all the screwin' around Iv'e done with mine in the past. Interesting to watch when you give the throttle just a blip as the fuel levels will drop to just below the halfway point, then gravity flowing fuel brings levels back up again. So hard accelleration is gonna drop them, but no matter what rpm motor ends up at when held at a steady throttle, they'll come back to whatever the fuel levels were set at. Since vacuum drop is so great, with that void wanting to be filled, the 'blowing across the top of the straw' effect is easily overcome and has no effect as far as a lean cond. from low fuel levels in bowls.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
        X