Please suggest gel battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please suggest gel battery

I do a crappy job of maintaining my battery. Need a gel. Looking for best price point to value. Thanks!
    Mike Farrington
    Suwanee, GA USA

Current: '80 XS11SG, '97 Vulcan 1500, '73 CB750
    Previous: '79 XS11SF, '80 XS11G, '81 XS650

Battery-Web.com

Mike,

I bought the Deka in the above link. It was been working great for about 2 years. It was made in Pennsylvania, as is the Yuasa battery. The Deka has enough CCA to fire my bike instantly. Battery-Web is close enough that you'll get it fast. I'm a happy customer! Any of those AGM batteries will do the trick, but it just so happens the one with the best price is made in the USA.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Marty, Thanks!
      Mike Farrington
      Suwanee, GA USA

Current: '80 XS11SG, '97 Vulcan 1500, '73 CB750
      Previous: '79 XS11SF, '80 XS11G, '81 XS650

Comment

The problem with gel batteries is that they give out rather suddenly rather than by giving you some warning like the slower death of a lead-acid battery.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
        03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=140853877729

I use this battery in mine.
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Holy crap. Almost $100 just to ship that sucker.
            Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
            Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
            Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
            Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
            Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
            K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
            81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
              Screw that! I will take my $40 agm battery and replace it ever couple years and be way ahead of that!
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by mfarrington View Post
                I do a crappy job of maintaining my battery. Need a gel. Looking for best price point to value. Thanks!
                Here's some rain for your parade.
                http://www.qsl.net/wb3gck/gel-cell.htm
                If your regulator is not set up for a gel cell, you will probably not reap the benefits that you are trying to obtain by using one. They do not suffer abuse any better than wet cells, as far as charging voltages go. And if you are having problems with your wet cell battery going dry quickly, I would suggest that you check your regulator, since that is the usual suspect for water loss in batteries. If the final charge voltage is too high, the current causes oxygen and hydrogen to form on the plates, using the water in the electrolyte, and the gases go out the vent.

CZ

Comment

Around here it is usual to pay 80 - 90 bucks for an acid filled battery. A gel will go for 130 - 140 bucks.
                  I have had acid filled ones last up to 7 yrs with no special treatment for winter. I just charge them shortly before storage and leave everything hooked up all winter. Others would drain down and freeze over the winter or sulphate off during their lifespan and be useless in a couple of years. One of my buddies ran the same batteries as I and had to buy a new one every spring. Makes one wonder a bit about quality control.
                  Now enter into my life the Gel battery. I have only run these for about 3 yrs so far so I have not had the same time frame to base my thoughts on. Absolutely no problems what so ever! No acid spill down the tube, no low battery symptoms, nothing!!! Just turn the key and the bike starts.
                  First thing in the spring I start it and it acts like I just started it yesterday. With the acid filled it may do that but it was always "If it don't start in the first 15 seconds you will have to boost or charge it". The gel will crank like a brand new battery.
                  While you may have different results i have been slowly replacing all of my batteries with gel whenever I need a new one.
                  2-79 XS1100 SF
                  2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                  80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                  Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
                    Here's some rain for your parade.
                    http://www.qsl.net/wb3gck/gel-cell.htm
                    If your regulator is not set up for a gel cell, you will probably not reap the benefits that you are trying to obtain by using one. They do not suffer abuse any better than wet cells, as far as charging voltages go. And if you are having problems with your wet cell battery going dry quickly, I would suggest that you check your regulator, since that is the usual suspect for water loss in batteries. If the final charge voltage is too high, the current causes oxygen and hydrogen to form on the plates, using the water in the electrolyte, and the gases go out the vent.

CZ
                    A huge +1 on that CZ! Not to bust anyones chops, but I'll stick with the Interstate lead-acid wet cells that I get 8+yrs, out of, consistantly for the last 27yrs.(original IIRC Yusa lasted 5yrs.). I also do not own, or ever would own a battery tender(justified AND proved reasons would take another seperate long thread).
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                      I also do not own, or ever would own a battery tender(justified AND proved reasons would take another seperate long thread).
                      What about charging the brand new battery? Surely you charge those to full initial capacity, no?
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
                      03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                        What about charging the brand new battery? Surely you charge those to full initial capacity, no?
                        Battery tenders shoildnt be used for the initial charge anyways. Battery chargers and batterytenders are very didifferent.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                          - - - I also do not own, or ever would own a battery tender(justified AND proved reasons would take another separate long thread).
                          Hi Moto,
                          Saskatchewan winters have my bike batteries on a shelf in my attached garage 5 months each year.
                          They never get below freezing but in the past they have been dieing of neglect.
                          Now my reason for not buying a battery tender is simple, I'm too cheap.
                          But what I got for free was an outdoor timer, meant to turn on a car's block heater a few hours before start up rather than have it use power all night.
                          The timer set for 1 hour a day, plus a 1amp charger for the BSA's bike battery and a 2 amp charger for the Pumpkin's car battery kept both batteries alive over last winter just fine.
                          So, is a battery tender more than a charger/timer combo, or what?
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                            Definitely do Sid. Using my smaller 1amp charger I bring the new battery(motorcycle size) up to its maximan voltage level before installation. That normally is 13.1-13.2v. A few decades ago the level would be as much as 13.7-13.9v in many cases. Would imagine quality and components of construction of battery these days affects that ability, like quality of so many of products that USED to be better. Doing this will ensure battery will always have the ability to come back up to that level from charging system. Otherwise, battery will always just come up to voltage level that it was when installed.
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

OK, I confused the nomenclature. I just bought an el cheapo battery from Walmart and charged it to 12.67 volts as recommended in the box. I used a low capacity charger (500ma) to get it there. I suppose a tender cycles the battery to some extent, I don't know. I will do a little research.
                              Skids (Sid Hansen)

03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Working...
                              X