Baffles in the pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baffles in the pipes

Hi again gurus. I just put in some 8" 'can opener' style baffles in my bell type mufflers. I removed the 'screen type' inserts which had no muffling quality. I have had hard starting, and my question : is there general rule of richening or leaning the mixture needles when adding baffles? The back-pressure should now be similar to the stock exhaust in my estimation, so the stock sized jets with the stock airbox I'm running should be compatible and in tune. I synced the carbs before I added the baffles, and maybe should resync now? The bike runs as before, but is quieter. Thanks for any input.
    __
    79 F
    Previously owned: (among others)
    1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
    1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
    1973 Suzuki TM 125
    1979 XS1100 F
    2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
    1991 BMW K75

Originally posted by MarkD View Post
    Hi again gurus. I just put in some 8" 'can opener' style baffles in my bell type mufflers. I removed the 'screen type' inserts which had no muffling quality. I have had hard starting, and my question : is there general rule of richening or leaning the mixture needles when adding baffles? The back-pressure should now be similar to the stock exhaust in my estimation, so the stock sized jets with the stock airbox I'm running should be compatible and in tune. I synced the carbs before I added the baffles, and maybe should resync now? The bike runs as before, but is quieter. Thanks for any input.
    __
    You can double check the sync., but has nothing to do with your mod. If plugs looking good, go ride.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I have had hard starting. Thanks for any input.
      __
      Hey Mark,

WHEN have you had hard starting, when it's been sitting cold, or after it's warmed up??

When you cleaned the carbs, did you ensure that the little jet down in the Float BOWL was open and free flowing? That is the jet that supplies the fuel to the enrichener when you engage it, but if that jet is clogged, then the enrichener isn't getting "enriched", and will result in hard cold starting!

That screen material was just spark arrestor, fire prevention.

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey, TC-- The hard starts are upon cold starts. When warm, it fires up like before. Seems the back-pressure made a difference?
        79 F
        1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
        1973 Suzuki TM 125
        1979 XS1100 F
        2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
        1991 BMW K75

Comment

Hey, TC-- The hard starts are upon cold starts. When warm, it fires up like before. Seems the back-pressure made a difference?
          Mark, when the engine is warmed up it takes much less fuel to start it, and so will usually start with just the idle supply when cranking. The muffler back pressure won't really affect it that way.

Did you clean the Float Bowl jets? Also, are you opening the throttle when trying to cold start? You do NOT want to turn the throttle, that just opens the butterflies and actually drops the vacuum that is supplie/used to pull the fuel up thru the enrichener circuit.

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

T.C., I cleaned the jets, so that shouldn't be a problem, and before I baffled the pipes, it started easily. I did open the throttle and play with it a bit after it wouldn't start right up like normal, but tomorrow, I won't. I normally don't enrichen it upon a cold start, for some reason, the choke on makes it stall after starting.
            79 F
            1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
            1973 Suzuki TM 125
            1979 XS1100 F
            2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
            1991 BMW K75

Comment

Seems the issue is back to normal starting. A few plug readings and tweaking the mix screws after a week of daily rides, and all better. Thanks for the suggestions.
              79 F
              1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
              1973 Suzuki TM 125
              1979 XS1100 F
              2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
              1991 BMW K75

Comment

Working...
              X