Lost a cam??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost a cam??

Would it be at all unusual to lose a cam lobe at 40,000 miles. My number 4 exhaust lobe looks like someone has been hammering on it. I have to see about measuring the lobes.
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

Very Very unusual!! I would pull the cam and see if the bucket is stuck or if you have a bent valve or something similar. Sounds like your valve is putting up more resistance than the cam lobe can take, which should be A LOT!!
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

While you're pulling the cam, you can inspect it for signs of galling and such on the bearing surface also. It could be that you got some debris or sludge that blocked the oil supply for that lobe so that it ran dryer which would also generate a lot more friction=wear than usual. Good Luck!

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I have seen cam lobes, and other internal engine parts, damaged by rust because of sitting too long. Mileage is a lot less damaging than disuse.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Newbie,

I think DGXSER has it and the #4 valve got bent or its bucket/pocket got dinged. Did the the engine make any unusual tapping noises after you buttoned it up or was quiet and just seemed a little down on power?

If the #4 valve got bent or the bucket jammed down and wouldn't come up all the way there'd be a larger than normal gap between the cam and the shim. The cam would beat itself to death while the bent valve or stuck bucket did the old Roto-Rooter trick to the head.

If the #4 valve/bucket got jammed up and wouldn't move down freely it would wipe out the oil film. Oiled or not oiled something would get out of the way whenever the cam lobe came around.

-- Scott
          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Hey Scott. Good thought on that. I wonder if that damn tool did something to the edge of the bucket, or i just screwed it up putting it on. That would explain the drastic change in clearances that i saw. If the bucket was stuck down, and/or the valve was bent, i would not be able to get the 130 lbs of compression that i have, would i? You just might have hit it on the nose. Time to see if i can screw it up some more by pulling the cam. (hope not) Rode it today for 6 hours, and it didn't do to bad. It would seem that if the valve was not working, that i would notice more loss of power than i do.
            1980 XS1100LG Midnight

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Comment

One More Thing

One other item to look at is the valve spring. A broken valve spring will allow the bucket/lifter to continually bounce off of the cam lobe and beat it up. Not a likely culprit, but has happened.

MP
              1981 XS1100H Venturer
              K&N Air Filter
              ACCT
              Custom Paint by Deitz
              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
              Stebel Nautilus Horn
              EBC Front Rotors
              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Bob, it was Don's idea! And MP has a good thought on one of the pair of valve springs too!

If you dinged the bucket/pocket or slightly bent the valve it might have taken its sweet time making itself all nice and comfortable in its happy home as the cam lobe got wiped out.

-- Scott
                _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                1979 XS1100F: parts
                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

UPDATE!!!

Got the valves run again, went through the carbs with new kits, cleaned the petcocks. Found a few passages plugged in the carbs. Put everything back together, and it will pull hard up to, and past the redline now. Only problem to work on today is idle and synch. For some reason i can't get any adjustment on #3, and the synch is just being a POS. Will report on what i find today.
                  1980 XS1100LG Midnight

Comment

You don't adjust #3, you adjust all the others to what #3 is.
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Pullled the carbs again. Have new carb holders on order. could not get over 9 inches on the vac gauge on any carb. Took them apart again, but have not found anything out of place yet. The air fuel adjustment needs to be done on all four carbs.
                      1980 XS1100LG Midnight

Comment

As long as the vacuum reads the same on all cylinders just having 9 will do the trick, if everything else is right. I would re-check the valve timing dots and check for any intake leaks. Sounds like you may have bad carb boots or you would not have ordered any but unlikely that all would leak at the same time.
                        I chased my tail round in circles for quite a while before I realized that the timing was out by one tooth and was causing my low vacuum readings while still showing me a good compression ratio. If you had the cams out or other parts of the timing...ie acct install or something...it does not take much to double check while you are waiting on new carb boots any ways.
                        2-79 XS1100 SF
                        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                          You don't adjust #3, you adjust all the others to what #3 is.
                          Think he's speaking of the idle mixture screws trbig.
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

If those are the later carbs with idle-mixes recessed, those tiny O-rings if not replaced WILL be like little hard washers and loose their seals. That would be first suspect if no change when adjusting out or in.......and low vacuum......DAMHIK......BTDT.
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                              If those are the later carbs with idle-mixes recessed, those tiny O-rings if not replaced WILL be like little hard washers and loose their seals. That would be first suspect if no change when adjusting out or in.......and low vacuum......DAMHIK......BTDT.
                              Very good point!
                              2-79 XS1100 SF
                              2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                              80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                              Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Working...
                              X