No announcement yet.

Lost my headlight/gauge lights!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, Good news is that the battery us now up to 13.2 volts after a day's worth of 2 amp charging, will leave it on for a few more hours today/tonight and then install it tomorrow. It cranked and started with it at only 12, so I'm sure it'll be good. BTW, it IS actually 3 years old now, I wrote the install date on the case (4/10) to help me keep track! I also don't have a "tender", just would charge it up a couple times during the winter over the last several years. I just need to check the fluid levels more often.

I'm running that fancy automotive race min-alt with built-in regulator and 1 wire charging line, and I have a voltmeter on the dash, I don't recall it going over 14 volts, and all of the cells were not dry, just a couple, so I don't think it's getting overcharged/boiling while running with that alt. Thanks for the help, see you at XS Southeast, hope we don't get rained out!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
      see you at XS Southeast, hope we don't get rained out!

T.C.
      According to the weather guessers, Saturday looks good to go and Sunday is only at 20%.

But like Tod says, they can't even get today right.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        According to the weather guessers, Saturday looks good to go and Sunday is only at 20%.

But like Tod says, they can't even get today right.
        And, these mountains make their own weather. As I recall, last year's forecast was rain, rain, and more rain. How much did we get?
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Relay Specs?

Anyone know what the specs are for the relay? or Where to acquire one?
          thanks
          Last edited by Dux; 06-19-2014, 10:45 AM. Reason: disregard, wrong thread
          1980 XS1100LG Midnight Special, Antique SuperTrapp 3.5"~ Muffler w 6 discs on 4>1 headers. K&N Air Filter

Comment

Hey Dux,

I don't have any specs, but it's a LATCHING relay, so that it stays engaged/switched once it's thrown. IT receives the latching signal from the leg of the alternator which is AC ~ 7 volts, but then is converted into DC by A diode INLINE. I don't know how much current it's supposed to supply to the headlight, but the headlight fuse is a 10 Amp. Mine still works, but not from the Harness Charging current...I tried replacing the diode, but that didn't work, so I don't know what went wrong with it? But I then wired a switch from my handlebar to it and used the regular 12 V DC line from the harness to throw and latch the relay, and it worked. I just have to remember to unthrow the handlebar switch, because I don't have the handlebar switch on a switched power line, it's hot all the time, and so even if the key is OFF, the headlight itself won't come on, but power can still go to the relay and drained my battery several months ago!

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

The headlight relay is repairable, just take it apart, it is usually just a broken solder joint.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Relay

Sometimes used ones can be found on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-77-78-Y...adbb75&vxp=mtr
                1981 XS1100H Venturer
                K&N Air Filter
                ACCT
                Custom Paint by Deitz
                Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                Stebel Nautilus Horn
                EBC Front Rotors
                Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Ah, but there is a difference between the 78-79 ones and the 80-81 ones. I do believe it is how the harness plug mates to the relay.
                  Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                  The Green Monster
                  K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                  Got him in '04.
                  bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                  Scarlet
                  K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                  Got her in '11
                  Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                  Hugo
                  Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                  Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
                    Ah, but there is a difference between the 78-79 ones and the 80-81 ones. I do believe it is how the harness plug mates to the relay.
                    Here you go! The pinouts are different. I put the picture in the other Headlight thread to keep stuff more or less together:-

Headlight Question

-- Scott
                    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                    1979 XS1100F: parts
                    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                    X