Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First gear issue?

Hey, question for the collective.

There's a nice 81 MNS on Craigslist in northern Colorado. Been emailing the guy, and he says the bike "has a first gear issue" which is just as common as the "second gear issue". He says it has both the first gear and second gear issues.

I called him on it and said I had never heard of a first gear issue. See his email below... http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mcy/4001425493.html

"Welp..! I have had seven of these bikes three had second gear problems and two, counting this one, has the first gear problem.. Hearing about gear problems and actually experiencing them are two very different things.. Like I said, I took the gears out of my parts bike and yes it was a pain, then again, I am not a professional motorcycle mechanic.. The fact is you can have a first gear problem w/out having a second gear problem and the other way round..! I believe four years of riding it with this problem undoubtedly proves my point..! I got the parts bike for $300 and parted it out for $1600 and still have the two sets of gears, new tires, starter, frame w/title, bearing for steering column, 160 mph speedometer/tac asm, and a box full of small stuff left..!

No matter one way or another it needs fixing to bring it to the point of an exceptional bike, that is quite true..! This is exactly why I am asking such a low price for such an exceptionally nice bike..! Even-tho I have owned over thirty motorcycles, not counting a half dozen dirt bikes., I still like this one the best, even with the gear problem.. I have acquired eight collector vehicles and because of this, no time, or a enclosed place to keep it at this time..

High book on these as you may know is over $4500.! If it didn't have the gear problem I would be asking $5k just because it is actually rare and otherwise in exceptional condition.!

I know I could part it out for $2000 (not that I would), as I have done that with other similar XS11's that were nowhere in the great shape of this one.. I have done this several times., so I am not just guessing or speculating.. Parts for these, again as you may know, are expensive, getting rare and they don't make them anymore.. Last time I checked complete set of new gears, go for about $800..! If you can find them..?

Actually "no matter how you slice it," it is worth what I am asking without the extra parts offered in the deal.. If it doesn't sell within a month, before the weather changes, it is no big deal.. I'll just put the $500 into it next Spring and get out of it what I know it is worth., unless I end up doing a bit more ridding..? I just didn't want to store it outside and finding a place inside hasn't worked out an why it is on CL...

I guess I am wondering why someone would spend so much time on this, that already has "a couple XS11's," (very nice one in the photo by the way), knowing they couldn't even come look at it in the first place...??
    Anyway, good luck to you also, in whatever it is you are actually looking for., and have a wonderful day.! Keep those XS11's on the road... "

So, other than wishful thinking (IMO) of what it's worth, back to the question of have you guys heard of a first gear issue that no one seems to post about on this forum?
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Hey Howard, it is not as common, but it does come up. Second is more common on the earlier models and fr some reason 1st is more common on the XJ models and some of the 81 models. So he is not off his rocker on the first gear issue.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Lots and lots of first gear problems posted... First and second gear are the problem children. Both are common. I always work on both of them every time I go into one.
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

LOL.. From the ad..

"Supper clean, Supper straight, Supper nice" Sounds good enough to eat! lol.

Lots of little things.. definitely not showroom condition, and just remember that the exhaust would have to come off to change the oil, but it's probably worth what he's asking, though I'd maybe point things out like clutch cover screw missing, making you wonder about other things... and offer a bit less like 2k.
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

[QUOTE=Bonz;420314]Hey, question for the collective.

There's a nice 81 MNS on Craigslist in northern Colorado. Been emailing the guy, and he says the bike "has a first gear issue" which is just as common as the "second gear issue". He says it has both the first gear and second gear issues.

How many have the 1st gear issue I don't know ? Just bought an 81 with 1st/2nd out.
          I do know that when I owned my 79SF 2nd bike I ever bought new, ( first new bike was 77 XS650 red ) the first thing I found I did not like about it was that big klunk when putting it in 1st after warming it up. So I tried putting it in 2nd, even bigger clash crank crunch klunk. So I started warming it in neutral, then turn it off and pull the front brake drop into 1st and start ( bike will want to jump forward as the clutch frees up, watch it so you don't fall ! ). 2nd thing I did not like was carving corners took much more muscle, be a man and handle that thing. This way there is no big klunk because it's already in gear. I rode that bike for 56K and sold to a buddy, from 20 mi. out of Milwaukee, Wi. he rode around the great lakes then to Mexico when he got back he complained to me that 2nd and 4th were out Still he went on his 2nd trip around the great lakes with no 1st or 4th. I still follow the same action start in neutral, warm some, turn off put in 1st grab the front brake lever and jump ( front end dives a little when started again but no big clunk) So I do think putting these in first without freeing the clutch ( or even if you do ) you will be attacking that 1st gear. Even at stop lights I leave it in gear or turn it off in gear and usually use 2nd not 1st once on the rode for a mile or so. That leaves me more gear to use when I want to really have some fun and push it through all the gears, ZOOOOM gone. And it can be learned to shift so quiet you won't hear me coming, like going for a midnight ride and everyone is asleep at 2 AM when I get home.
          76 XS650 C ROADSTER
          80 XS650 G Special II
          https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
          80 XS 1100 SG
          81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
          https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
          AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Hi Bonz! As stated, first gear you'll find to be bout as common as second as far as staying engaged after years of use. The original motor out of my Venturer has the 1st gear issue. The replacement motor, which came out of a Venturer and only 83 in production numbers behind my original with under 20K on it had the second gear issue, even though it looks and runs like a new motor. IMO, an owner/rider who never quite catch on to how make clean, smooth non- clunking upshifts OR downshifts become those 'dogs' demise sooner than others. Have come across other XS11's with really high miles on them, and the tranny shifts and works smooth as silk, and have to really try in order to make them clunk a bit on shifting. Those same scoots also have never had the tranny engagemebt issue either. Luck of the draw I presume, having ridden other XS11's with extremes both directions.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Your Motorcycle Value

1981 Yamaha XS1100L Midnight Special 1100

Suggested Retail Value

Excellent Condition $1,810 when purchasing from a dealer.
              First off, I don't know where he got the $4500 Hi book value???? This is from the KBB other vehicles section!

Secondly, if you look in the tech tips, repairs, Tranny, you'll find the one for the "1st and 2nd" gear dremel fix.

Mine is an 81 SH, and after about 50k miles my first gear went, so I babied it using 2nd sooner, and just a few months later, 2nd started skipping as well, and that's when I parked it. Some 10 years later I got back into it. Sounds like he also hadn't heard/learned about the Dremel fix, because he's talking about getting new gears to fix it, and the inherent cost and lack of supply.

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TC, NADA does list it at just over $4500.

LH PRICE

Not that I think this bike is worth that. First it needs the mechanical work, and it is missing the stock exhaust. Stock midnight exhaust in pristine condition is probably the most rare part of all XS11 components. So that is a big detractor in my mind.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Yeah, huge difference in KBB vs. NADA. My excellent 80SG should fetch about $4200 by NADA standards, and I have a pristine tranny too! Any takers?
                  Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
                  X