X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Spayne,

According to a how to read your plugs, the yellow is not good:

High Speed Glazing
    APPEARANCE: Glazing appears as shiny coating on the plug, either yellow or tan In color.

CAUSE: During hard, fast acceleration, plug temperatures rise suddenly. Deposits from normal combustion have no chance to fluff off; instead, they melt on the insulator forming an electrically conductive coating which causes misfiring.

RECOMMENDATION: Glazed plugs are not easily cleaned. They should be replaced fresh set of plugs of the correct the condition recurs, using plugs with a heat range one step colder may cure It.
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by spayne83 View Post
      I'm going to do plug chops tomorrow,
      Originally posted by spayne83 View Post
      only ran them for about 15 min from exit to exit on the freeway and a little idling.
      Then you havn't done plug chops

By the sound of what you're saying the last thing your plugs in your pics did is idle, so you have done a plug chop of your idle rev range, NOT any of the other rev ranges that you report having hesitation and popping.

You need to hold the throttle at the throttle opening where your popping, hesitation occurs for a few minutes, then similtaneously snap the throttle shut, hit the kill switch and pull in the clutch coasting to a stop, a quiet road for this is recommended for obvious reasons. Using the correct method of plug chops preserves what your engine is doing on your plugs at the very moment its doing it. Until you know WHERE in your throttle openings, 1/8 1/4 1/2 and so on, you have the tuning issue you are blindly altering settings
      Tom
      1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
      1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
      1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
      1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Working...
      X