Yet another new build thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another new build thread...

So I finally got the '81 running sweetly, (finally is relative when you've only had something for two weeks). Now I get to play with the cosmetics. Hoping not to offend the purists, but it is going under the knife for a mild café treatment. Had a spare tank from an old GS that is the basis for the bump seat, (don't worry, the rust inside made the tank useless), cleaned up the engine with a little paint and a lot of elbow grease, have clubmans on order, rearsets....well I may as well be hunting bigfoot for how available they are, (read: its gotta be inexpensive). I'll post some parts on the "for sale" board when available, should be some side covers, the square headlight and bucket, rear chrome fender and taillight, the front chrome is in awesome condition so I might swap for a bad one as its gonna get chopped down. Always eager for suggestions on the build, ie:color schemes, stance....see something that doesn't fit right athstetically, (besides me on the bike...), let me know. Fibreglass and welding fumes sometimes cloud my judgement.
    Some new old pics now that progress is being made....

Before:

So far....

Fitting the bump.....

All in, I'm super pleased with how its going for a $200 30+yr old backyard find.
    81 H "Traumaha"
    06 KLR 650
    06 Katana 600 (Sold)
    05 Star 1100 (Sold)
    78 GS1000 Cafe (Traded for a Chrysler 68 Newport)
    79 RD400 (Stolen)
    78 KE175
    Schwinn Tricycle red (with a loud bell)

First thing I must say, I love the stock '79F Standard look. That does not mean I can't appreciate a good looking cafe build. Looks very cool so far. Well done.
    79 F
    Previously owned: (among others)
    1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
    1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
    1973 Suzuki TM 125
    1979 XS1100 F
    2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
    1991 BMW K75

Comment

Working...
    X