When To Buy a New Tire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When To Buy a New Tire?

So, for us not that knowledgable about buying and replacing tires, how do I know when to replace my tires? I read an interesting article on "wear bars", and did not find them on my tires (Metzeler 880/88's)
    http://www.thebikersgarage.com/motor...ire-wear-bars/
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

All tyres, and tires, have them. They are not apparent when the tyre is new but will show up as it wears. Personally, I would never run a tyre to anywhere near the wear bars, legal minimum though they indicate. They are more prone to punctures when getting down to the bars and a new tyre is a lot less expensive than a hip pinning, broken elbow, fractured skull etc caused by a blowout. Poverty-stricken though A have been, I'd never skimp on a tyre..or a tire...
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Other than visual indicators, the rest is subjective opinion as to when you should replace a tire. (It's a US based site James, you can call it a Tyre on the UK site)

They do all have the wear bars, but other factors are age and miles. When I bought my first XS11, the tires looked fine. I put about 5k miles on the first year, they were Kenda tires IIRC. Next season I went for a group ride with some local XSives. I recalled looking the tires over before the ride and not seeing anything to indicate they were worn. When I got back from the 300 miles of riding my back tire had a 6" strip of thread showing!!! Of course I changed that one right away.

Age has many effects on the life of the tire. From my experiences over the years, an older tire actually wears out faster. The rubber also hardens and may not grip the road as well, which could have bad results in spirited riding.

As for millage, it seems between 6-8k miles is the average life expectancy for a rear tire, maybe 10-12k for a front. So you can use those numbers to estimate when you might need to preemptively make the swap if your not seeing signs.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Agreed... I had a bike with loads of tread on the tyres/tires/pneus but they were hard as rock and had hardly any grip on the road.

I would give them no more than 2 years life expectancy and would change before the tread gets near the bars. The money saved by running a tire to the bars, as opposed to changing earlier, really is next to nothing. And, like I said before, falling off due to a rubbish tyre and being injured, however slightly , just isn't worth it. Even the biggest tire has only a relatively small contact area on the road and it's essential that what does touch the road should be as efficient as possible.

I run my XJR on Pirelli Corsa tires. They are the best I've ever had on a bike. Not cheap but worth it...even though we have free healthcare here in UK
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Total safety issue for me, even if the tire is bare and no thread showing you still lose control breaking when it rains/ sudden stops / handling. A blow out on the highway isn't worth the risk of squeezing out a few extra miles.
          81 H

Comment

On a daily commuter bike, I would take it to the wear bars with conditions:

Never take it to go-directly-to-jail speed.

If the wear profile makes it corner stupidly, change it.

Don't plan any long trips.

I only had one flat in my life and that was with a brand new tube and tire with a pinched tube (78E).

One thing is for sure...a new tire really feels good with the bike's handling!!!
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I am also convinced tires wear faster as they approach the wear bars.
              Once you know what you are looking for they are easy to find.
              I need to replace my rear before next trip. Just about at the wear bars.
              Phil
              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Yeah, I guess I can't see the wear bars on mine.
                1979 XS1100F
                2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I wear 'em out!

The Metzeler ME880 I just took off my front wheel had plenty of tread on it. It was two years old. It was cracking in the tread grooves, so I no longer trusted it. Bye bye to that one!
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                    I wear 'em out!

The Metzeler ME880 I just took off my front wheel had plenty of tread on it. It was two years old. It was cracking in the tread grooves, so I no longer trusted it. Bye bye to that one!
                    well, since this Is my first time changing them, I guess when they are 11 years old.
                    Jeff
                    77 XS750 2D completely stock
                    79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Marty, I didn't mean to quote that, sorry. I could not edit, waited to long.
                      Jeff
                      77 XS750 2D completely stock
                      79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                        I wear 'em out!

I've got differing opinions on this one. I've seen many tires do this, but honestly, you're looking at a spot in the tire that is the absolute thinnest rubber. Between that rubber and the air inside, you have at least two overlapping layers of belts/chords, then another thick layer of rubber. It isn't like that crack can just readily split and go all the way through the tire (Tyre for James)

Just about every front tire I've owned develops at least a little cracking in those grooves. I wonder if you could get a straight answer about it from any tire manufacturer, or if you'd just get the legal response? Marty, have your wife send one of them a memo on a legal-headed document and see what they respond with? lol..
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                          I've got differing opinions on this one. I've seen many tires do this, but honestly, you're looking at a spot in the tire that is the absolute thinnest rubber. Between that rubber and the air inside, you have at least two overlapping layers of belts/chords, then another thick layer of rubber. It isn't like that crack can just readily split and go all the way through the tire (Tyre for James)

Just about every front tire I've owned develops at least a little cracking in those grooves. I wonder if you could get a straight answer about it from any tire manufacturer, or if you'd just get the legal response? Marty, have your wife send one of them a memo on a legal-headed document and see what they respond with? lol..
                          ......can bout tell you what'cha gonna get for a response based on this happening to an Avon Storm II tire IIRC on an ST13(and another having a blow-out @70 while in a sweeper curve).......not quoted, but in essence was told in a nicely written reponse that the tire was not designed to be exposed to large temperature changes as this caused the cracking/seperation.
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                            ......can bout tell you what'cha gonna get for a response based on this happening to an Avon Storm II tire IIRC on an ST13(and another having a blow-out @70 while in a sweeper curve).......not quoted, but in essence was told in a nicely written reponse that the tire was not designed to be exposed to large temperature changes as this caused the cracking/seperation.
                            Well.. considering those facts and the tire I have on the front that I was talking about being an Avon tire (Venom)....

I guess I'll get a front tire ordered for the trip out east next month. A tire is a lot cheaper than trying to figure out how to get a wrecked bike home over 1,000 miles away. I've tried to show them a couple times, but the bikes don't seem to catch on as to how to bounce and roll as well as I do down the road. Matter of fact, they just downright suck at it.
                            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100
                            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                              Well.. considering those facts and the tire I have on the front that I was talking about being an Avon tire (Venom)....

I guess I'll get a front tire ordered for the trip out east next month. A tire is a lot cheaper than trying to figure out how to get a wrecked bike home over 1,000 miles away. I've tried to show them a couple times, but the bikes don't seem to catch on as to how to bounce and roll as well as I do down the
                              road. Matter of fact, they just downright suck at it.
                              I'm damn proud of you Tod. You haven't wrecked anything I know of this year. As far as I know you haven't even dropped one at a gas pump.
                              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X