XJ11 & Maxim-X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ11 & Maxim-X

I had written the post below as a side note to a post I had made regarding dynojets and the XJ11. I didn't want to hijack the thread because good info was coming in so I posted this separately. I have 3 bikes, a XJ11, Maxim-X and XJ650 Maxim. All three are running as new and cosmetics are all that's left (cept for the XJ11 where I still need to replace the clutch as it skips at WOT in 2nd gear at 6500 RPM and, I need to replace the front shock oil seals as the left one popped).

Here's what I'd written:

A side note about the power curve between the 5 valve Maxim-X & the XJ11/XS11... The Maxim-X has 86 horsepower and is far lighter than the XJ11 so the 1/4 mile times are pretty much the same; mid 11's. The XJ11 has a very linear power curve, it's very strong and very even, very predictable and much like most muscle cars I've driven; step on the gas and it screams linearly. Yes, some noticeable increase in acceleration with higher RPMs but mostly an even acceleration. The Maxim-X is a very different curve which is not so much at low to mid RPM but it pulls far harder the more the RPMs increase up to its 10K red line. at the upper end of the RPM range it wants to pull your hands off the handlebars it is accelerating so hard.

Interesting couple of bikes, each far different and each with strong pluses. I far prefer the XJ11 for long rides. The Maxim-X is more nimble on windy back roads. I've decided to keep both of these bikes and sell my 650, the XJ11 is everything I need for cruising and is perfect for trips of any length. The Maxim-X is all I need for twisty, rural roads and rip off your face acceleration in short bursts; not so suited for long highway sojourns, it's buffeted too easily by crosswinds and larger vehicles.

As to the XJ11: I can't think of any single bike that does as much and is a cruiser frame. I'm keeping both of these as long as I can ride. At 62, that time is shortening; I'm doing as much as I can, while I can.

Gary
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

cept for the XJ11 where I still need to replace the clutch as it skips at WOT in 2nd gear at 6500 RPM

The transmission SKIPS.. or SLIPS? Slip is clutch. Skip means 2nd gear fix.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

And hate to say it, but the XJ's won't crack the 11 second 1/4 mile. Maximan's may have with the right rider, but he had almost 100 HP to the rear wheel and thousands invested to get it to that. If I remember right, the '78 XS11 was the only one to crack into the 11 second times.. and just barely.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
        The transmission SKIPS.. or SLIPS? Slip is clutch. Skip means 2nd gear fix.
        Hard to describe, only under WOT, at around 6500 RPM there is what feels like a instantaneous shift but it remains within the gear and continues accelerating to red line. It doesn't kick out of gear into neutral or another gear and there is never any grinding sound when this happens. It's never slipped out of gear into neutral or another gear at any time.

I remember hearing the need for the 2nd gear fix was the tranny kicking out of 2nd & into neutral.

What do you think?

Gary
        82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

That sounds like what mine would do like in the top of 3rd and 4th gear under hard throttle. (probably all of them but I never had 1st and 2nd rung out too hard until I learned the bike). Anyway, clutch springs fixed mine. I got the Barnett heavy duty and took less than an hour and no more slip.
          Jeff
          77 XS750 2D completely stock
          79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
            That sounds like what mine would do like in the top of 3rd and 4th gear under hard throttle. (probably all of them but I never had 1st and 2nd rung out too hard until I learned the bike). Anyway, clutch springs fixed mine. I got the Barnett heavy duty and took less than an hour and no more slip.
            I used Amsol MA and within a few miles my clutch was slipping badly. I got advice here to put Barnett springs in and I changed back to Dino oil & the slipping went away. What there is though is this issue I've tried to describe. I'm thinking I should probably just bite the bullet and re-do the clutch friction plates with Barnett Kevlar and polish the metal plates.

I'm hoping it's strictly clutch related, I love this bike and and really don't want to go into it again, especially after replacing the rings last year. Up and

Gary

Comment

Yeah, it might need the plates sanded and checked for flatness on a piece of glass. If it don't pop out of gear, think its clutch related but I am in no way a guru, I just know what happened to mine and I learned from the guys on here about the springs and it fixed mine. I guess your clutch is adjusted right isn't it? Good luck on it whatever it is. I have never heard of a maxim x. I am going to google it.
              Jeff

Comment

What you're describing is the 2nd gear problem these bikes have. The "Dogs" or tabs of 2nd gear mesh with some slots in 5th gear when the bike is in 2nd. They don't engage each other very far, and if the leading edges get rounded at all, under hard accel, the rounded front edge actually pushes the gears apart for a split second, then it will engage again when the dogs come to the next slot. Eventually, it will feel much like you're sitting on a machine gun.. then it will get to where it won't even engage the gear at all if you keep going.

Your best bet is to get it now before it rounds off the edges even worse, or ride it easy enough to where it doesn't do that until you get things lined up to where you can get it done. You'll need a Dremmel tool of some sort, but I'd offer up a meal and a few beers to someone who knows what they're doing to help you out with it the first time... though many have tackled it on their own. The main thing is to move the washer from one side of 2nd gear to the other, which essentially doubles your gear engagement, and you won't have to worry about it ever again.

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100

Comment

he said that it does not pop out of gear or make any noise . if it was that you would probably hear it would pop out of gear wouldn't it?
                  Jeff

Comment

Tod has it nailed, second gear is going. The skip your experiencing is the dogs disengaging and re-engaging. It skips like that before it starts popping out of gear completely then the next step is it wont stay engaged. Lay off the WOT in that gear because it will only get worse until you fix it. I recently experienced this issue and will be doing the fix this winter. Went to make a pass on a car and it skipped 4, 5 or 6 times as I passed. It took a fair amount of punishment to get to this point and I'm not entirely surprised, it just wasn't meant to ride out wheelies in 2nd gear.
                    '79 XS11 F
                    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

If its the second gear thang, then it will be a distinct judder..maybe just one, rather than the machine gun...a single round, you might say, rather than a full clip (to continue the analogy).

An occasionally slipping clutch would tend to give a smoother judder but would be preceded by a noticeable increase in rpm as the clutch slips, then bites again. I'm trying desperately to think of a further firearms example but, living in a country that doesn't have them, it's difficult.....
                      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Yeah, if the clutch slips, the rpm will go up quicker than what you are accelerating but in my case, I didn't have a tack but I new it was slipping. I have never felt the 2nd gear problem, hopefully wont but I am sure I will eventually cause I am going to keep this bike forever.
                        Jeff

Comment

Working...
                        X