First Post - My 'new' XS1100 Problems/Solutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Post - My 'new' XS1100 Problems/Solutions

First, I'd like to say that this site has been incredibly helpful in assisting me to get my 1978 XS1100 in working condition. The answer to almost all of my problems was never more than a forum search away. It was really comforting knowing that many other XS11 riders had gone through the same issues I was having and come out the other side victorious.

I bought the bike about 2 weeks ago after I got home from a 4 week Army training regiment at Ft Lewis.

The guy I bought it from had bought it from another guy who bored out the cylinders and dropped some forged pistons in it as well as done some other cosmetic work as you can see (plus a shoddy paint job at best). The bike ran well when I went to see it but the clutch lever had conveniently broken before I got there. I really wanted the bike at the time so I dropped the guy $875 for it and came back two days later with a clutch lever to pick it up. Needless to say when I took off in first gear it sound more like an M240B than a motorcycle; first gear wouldn't stay in. Lovely, transmission issues, I thought. Rode it an hour back home only running on three cylinders and a near dead battery and got the thing parked (only after stalling out on a hill two times and dropping the bike).

Rebuilt the carbs on it and rode it around for awhile before I stumbled upon the 1st/2nd gear fix on this website which gave me hope that I had just wasted almost $900 on a hunk of steel. I had never been in a motorcycle transmission before so I pretty wary about trying this but what the heck it's already broken. After reading the forum post about the fix I got the attitude: "yeah I can totally do this". I was mistaken. It was much more difficult getting that damn countershaft out than I had expected. Broken retaining plates inside this thing, stripped screws, the whole works. It looked like someone had been down the same path I was travelling but with the wrong tools and about a quarter the patience.

Put the transmission back together, said a prayer to my God, and slapped it into first gear and boom! it worked . Rode it around some more, still having charging issues (battery not charging at all). Finally got around to taking a look at the electrical system last night and discovered a short to ground on two of the three stator coils so I placed an order for a new one. Hopefully, this last piece of the puzzle will bring everything back into perfect working order but we'll see.

The bike has been a chore to own so far but it's a great bike I could see myself riding for some time. Thanks to everyone that has made contributions to the various repair threads on this site, I truly could not have gotten to this point without that help.
    78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
    79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

trans fix

Welcome !

Nice work !!!!! Another saved from the scrap yard !!!!!
    Don't spend at the Yamastealer, ask right here REALLY, many nice people here and good deals on parts. Next would be ebay and lastly the dealer.
    Trust me I know.
    I'm about to work up the courage to dig into my second XS11 81SH trans.
    My 81LH is just fine.
    Had a 79SF bought new and rode for 56,000 mi. then sold no problems.
    Take it easy your breaking in a set of gears and besides these bikes have the power to throw you off if not run with respect and the knowledge that your P.O. did not have a clue, so anything could be loose or ready to come apart, take your time, be careful PLEASE !
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Wow, hell of a job !!! Congrat's !!
      81 H

Comment

Awsome!

I too would be a bit leery of the transmission
        79F
        "Excelsior"
        Honda gl1100 handlebar
        Vetter IV fairing with speaker system
        OE headers,Jardine slipons
        Hid headlight 6000k
        Stock jets
        Shinko 712 F & R
        Oe hardbags and luggage rack
        TC fuse block
        K&n filter with oe airbox
        Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

Welcome to the site! Congrats on getting the tranny back in order! And remember, do not be afraid to ask questions! It is way better to ask here first "how do I do this" instead of "how do I fix what I just messed up" later.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

welcome to the madness

you're not too far, maybe when you get it on the road we can hit some roads around Irish Hills
            Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Originally posted by D0wn5h1ft View Post
              - - - I bought the bike about 2 weeks ago - - -
              Hi Gabe and welcome,
              kudos on your tranny fix and good luck with the electrics.
              Not saying your stator is not shorting but the "usual suspect" for no charge is the big white plug & socket behind the fuse panel.
              They tend to melt into a blob and even if they still look OK their contacts may be burning out.
              BTW, what's with the seat, it looks like it shrunk in the sun?
              If you are in need of a rear fender & tail light, a recent post shows someone doing a café job who's looking to sell his.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
              X