Question on XS750 Final Drive Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on XS750 Final Drive Swap

I was reviewing the mod thread regarding the XS750 final drive swap. I noticed that the shaft on the XS750 is longer. Does this mean the swing arm is longer? And if so, would it be possible to swap the swing arm from an XS750 with the entire rear end? I was wanting a longer swing arm anyway. Is this possible?

Likely a dumb question, but I am at the point of my rebuild where I can do this and was wondering if it can be done.

Thanks

krakum1967
    1978 XS1100E In Paint

I *just* did the 750 swap last week on my '78 E. Easy peasy really except the part where I b0rked my splines on the u-joint at the middle drive during re-assembly. Removal of the tail spring on the rubber boot is helpful so you can get yer fingers in there to align the u-joint properly. Apply LOTS of fresh grease of course.. See below.

If the 750 swingarm IS longer, it won't be more than 12MM or so. Not really worth all the hassle of trying to get a longer swingarm.

I recommend the 750 swap if you are an old duff and like to just cruise around. Occasional 2-handfulls-of-throttle launches at lights are still amusing too. But, I'm giving the ol girl a break. Shes like what, 70 in motorcycle years I imagine?

I followed the swap that I found while googling. Lots of pics. I simply cut down a 3/4 copper coupling and used a few o-rings I had laying around. I also suggest removing the "retainer clip" in the splines on the driveshaft and NOT installing the o-ring at the spline end of the copper spacer as the page suggests. Mine got all chewed up right away anyway.

Now is a good time to use 2 rolls of paper towels and remove ALL the old 35 year old grease in the swingarm and what-not. Replace with bunches of new grease.

My swingarm was losing paint so I ground it down and re-painted. Much better looking now.

\
    1) Fire up Internet Explorer
    2) http://www.yahoo.com
    3) type "www.mapquest.com" into the Yahoo search page.
    4) go about day as VP managing multi-million dollar financial contracts.

Comment

Well its more of the desire to take a good swingarm off an existing running bike that I rebuilt two years ago. I have already gone through its swingarm and rear end, and would rather just do a swingarm rear drive swap.

Can it be done or is there any reason why I would be required to go through the existing swingarm and make the mods?

The one on the 750 has been refitted, serviced and repainted, just trying to save time in light of the waning summer.
      1978 XS1100E In Paint

Comment

Valley City! I grew up in Reynolds (just south of Grand Forks) and spent lots of time in Valley City, brothers wife is from Valley City as well.

Really wish I still lived in NoDak!
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
        X