Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On the road again.....until one thing leads to another. I quit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an extra here that I can part with. Cost me about 3 bucks and the shipping was stupid but that aint your fault. I would send it via Canada post and may take as much as 2 weeks to arrive. Yours for the low price of actual shipping plus 3 bucks. Let me know!
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
      I have an extra here that I can part with. Cost me about 3 bucks and the shipping was stupid but that aint your fault. I would send it via Canada post and may take as much as 2 weeks to arrive. Yours for the low price of actual shipping plus 3 bucks. Let me know!
      Thanks for the offer Ras, but DPotter has one and I'm swinging by his place this weekend to pick up some saddle bags too, so no need for yours.
      Thanks again for the offer.
      Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
      The Green Monster
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
      Got him in '04.
      bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
      Scarlet
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
      Got her in '11
      Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
      Hugo
      Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
      Cold weather ride

Comment

thanks for dropping the bolt off George. I got time to get started putting it back together today. the bolt went in fine. I cleaned out all the shavings before hand then I put in the cllutch. That all went good then I started bolting in that top piece on the clutch and one of the 6 bolts snapped. I was able to get it out. but then inspected the others and found another one that was about to give way also.

I figure I will replace all the bolts but Im curious if i will be able to find replacement bolts at lowes? hmmm. We will see Sunday.
        1979 XS1100 Special. Nicely modified.
        1977 KZ1000 needs everything!
        1971 CB750 Nice Restomod Completed
        1972 CB750 Got it going after 30 years. Getting turned into a old school bobber. Working on a title.

SOLD-1981 XS1100H What got me on this site.
        1980ish virago 535. Room mate left it for rent money. lol.
        1980 XS850 almost stock 20k miles.
        1979 XS750 Parts bike no title.
        1979 XS750 Cafe running,someone else can enjoy it.
        RIP-1980 XS850

Comment

Yeah, you got to look at those bolts close. People have a tendency to over tighten them because they are too cheap to go buy an inch pound torque wrench.

They stretch them out.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Well to finish this thread up, I was able to find clutch bolts at Ace hardware. They were a little bit shorter the the stock ones so I used three of the originals to seat the part in there then I then swaped all the bolts to the new ones and everything worked out fine. I put on the clutch cover, added oil and gas and took a short trip up the street and back. Seems like its good again. I plan on taking it out for more of a ride sometime monday to make sure it is all good.
            1972 CB750 Got it going after 30 years. Getting turned into a old school bobber. Working on a title.

RIP-1980 XS850

Comment

Originally posted by cpmaynard1980 View Post
              Well to finish this thread up, I was able to find clutch bolts at Ace hardware. They were a little bit shorter the the stock ones so I used three of the originals to seat the part in there then I then swaped all the bolts to the new ones and everything worked out fine. I put on the clutch cover, added oil and gas and took a short trip up the street and back. Seems like its good again. I plan on taking it out for more of a ride sometime monday to make sure it is all good.
              But those 3 'longer' bolts in a plastic bag and save them!
              If you ever have to work on that clutch again, you'll want those longer bolts to get things compressed again.
              Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
              The Green Monster
              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
              Got him in '04.
              bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
              Scarlet
              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
              Got her in '11
              Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
              Hugo
              Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
              Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                Yeah, you got to look at those bolts close. People have a tendency to over tighten them because they are too cheap to go buy an inch pound torque wrench.

They stretch them out.
                Yup.......a correctly torqued bolt according to size,grade, and thread per inch WILL stay tight. one overtightened will not, distorting/stretching the threads. Sometimes, 'good 'n' tite' is NOT good.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I wonder if anyone else has noticed that the threads here do extend far beyond the stock bolts reach. It is far easier to put longer bolts in than to put the shorter ones in and you get the benefit of going past any stripped threads and still have a usable unit.
                  2-79 XS1100 SF
                  2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                  80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                  Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                    I wonder if anyone else has noticed that the threads here do extend far beyond the stock bolts reach. It is far easier to put longer bolts in than to put the shorter ones in and you get the benefit of going past any stripped threads and still have a usable unit.
                    Good observation Ras. Never took notice myself as I just had the clutch assembly off in order to accomplish the gear fix several yrs. back. Longer wouldn't hurt as dirt bike clutch baskets use fairly long bolts on the basket ears, as that assembly gets some serious abuse in moto-x competition with smoke coming off the case housing after a moto heat. If it ain't smokin' your not slippin' and riddin' hard enough.
                    Last edited by motoman; 09-08-2013, 06:22 PM.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Well at the next oil change i will change the bolts. Wish i would have noticed that before it went back together.

RIP-1980 XS850

Comment

Originally posted by cpmaynard1980 View Post
                        Well at the next oil change i will change the bolts. Wish i would have noticed that before it went back together.
                        On the sidestand, no need to drop oil out first.

Comment

Working...
                        X