source of leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• source of leak

today after a 100 mile ride (100 degree temps) I found a drop of oil under my bike. got to looking underneath and it came from the bottom of the u-joint boot. there is a small "nipple" on the boot that looks like a drain I checked the fluid level of the middle drive with the Yamaha tool and the fluid level is right up to the top fill mark. I have brand new royal purple fluid in the drive unit but the drop I found on the floor was very dark grey. could it be from the grease on the drive shaft that I renewed about 2,000 miles ago? this is the first drop of anything out of the bike since I bought it a year ago.
    if it is, any cause for alarm? I worry about my baby

Originally posted by 650mark View Post
    I worry about my baby
    It's the beginning of the end. Worry some more.

Comment

Sounds like liquified driveshaft grease to me. If it were leaking out of the middle drive, then it'd be purplish color.
      You can always pop the spring clip(s) off the boot and pull it back and see what the u-joint looks like.
      Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
      The Green Monster
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
      Got him in '04.
      bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
      Scarlet
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
      Got her in '11
      Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
      Hugo
      Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
      Cold weather ride

Comment

Mine always does it. One drop isn't much cause for concern. If it was a puddle, then it would be a problem. I keep an eye on my middle gear oil level and have never had a problem. Maybe your bike thinks it's a Harley.

Wayne
        80 XS1100 SG "Phoenix"

"We are the type of band that if we moved in next door to you...Your lawn would die"
        Lemmy from Motorhead

Comment

Not sure what the change interval IS on the driveshaft grease, but I just did the 6th gear addition to my 11 and the original grease was starting to get runny.

Figure 35 years, it was due to change. lol. Went through a few rolls of paper-towels and carb cleaner.

Packed everything with fresh Mystik red hi-temp grease. Really sticky stuff. Should perform better than the 35 year old crap that was in there.

Might be time to clean 'er out and re-grease.
          1) Fire up Internet Explorer
          2) http://www.yahoo.com
          3) type "www.mapquest.com" into the Yahoo search page.
          4) go about day as VP managing multi-million dollar financial contracts.

Comment

does the boot spring need to come apart in order to get it loose enough to peel the boot back? thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by 650mark View Post
              does the boot spring need to come apart in order to get it loose enough to peel the boot back? thanks for the info
              No, but it does to put the boot back on.
              Be careful when you put it back together, and make sure that the spring is in the boot groove, and the boot is in place ALL AROUND the middle drive recessed groove. A mirror and bright light will help you see the back side, and a piece of soft wire hooked to the end of the spring will aid in getting it pulled into place.
              CZ

Comment

thanks for the help. i'll check it in the morning when the temps cool off a bit

Comment

Originally posted by Diskman01 View Post
                  Not sure what the change interval IS on the driveshaft grease, but I just did the 6th gear addition to my 11 and the original grease was starting to get runny...
                  Can you tell us more about your 6th gear mod? You can just drop that and walk away like no big deal lol.
                  '79 XS11 F
                  Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                  Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                  GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Come on now the 6th gear mod or 750/850 final drive mod with the 17inch rim...... You only get 5 gears no mater how you mod the bike.
                    To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                    1980 G Silverbird
                    Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                    1198 Overbore kit
                    Grizzly 660 ACCT
                    Barnett Clutch Springs
                    R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                    122.5 Main Jets
                    ACCT Mod
                    Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                    Antivibe Bar ends
                    Rear trunk add-on
                    http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

ya.. Just trollin... I did the 750 final swap a few days ago. I really like it.
                      1) Fire up Internet Explorer
                      2) http://www.yahoo.com
                      3) type "www.mapquest.com" into the Yahoo search page.
                      4) go about day as VP managing multi-million dollar financial contracts.

Comment

Working...
                      X