Sign of tranny trouble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sign of tranny trouble?

Rotella T5 used for oil, so not my issue. Sometimes at higher revs on the highway going from 4th to 5th, my tranny refuses to shift. I get a machine gun sound while toing up on the shift lever until I either reduce the revs or whatever. My tranny shifts like butter almost always, except for the blue moon occurence stated above. Is it a clutch issue?
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

This happens to me, although only a few times a year. I am 99.99% sure that it is due to not making a firm, deliberate upshift on the shift lever. The transmission shafts get aligned into a "phantom" neutral-like position in between 4 and 5. The machine gun sound is the dogs on the gears unsuccessfully trying to re-engage each other.
    Last edited by baltimorenick; 08-09-2013, 01:36 PM.
    ---------------
    XS1100SF daily rider
    XS1100F (parts/project bike)

Comment

Mine will do it too, especially if I am shifting fast and I'll hit the fake neutral and then I always slow down so it don't do the machine gun effect cause I know that cant be good. I think if you shift firmer, it will be fine. Mine only does it when I don't shift right for this bike. Mine is usually smooth too but ever now and then i'll miss or baby shift and it will do it.
      Jeff
      77 XS750 2D completely stock
      79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Hey Ian,

As others have already posted, that false neutral has gotten me also, usually when I'm trying to do a fast shift also at high rpms, and I don't release the throttle just a touch as well as really pulling up firmly on the shifter. It also happened because I was wearing just tennis shoes instead of my riding boots. I have better leverage in my boots, the sole is thicker and it allows me to be able to pull up on the shift lever easier and fuller/further in the boots.
        If you are having to pull your foot up very far when shifting, then you might also look into repositioning the shift lever a spline rotation CCW to lower it which will give you more leverage and not have to pull up on it so far which can help in making the shift action more firm and thorough!

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by baltimorenick View Post
          This happens to me, although only a few times a year. I am 99.99% sure that it is due to not making a firm, deliberate upshift on the shift lever. The transmission shafts get aligned into a "phantom" neutral-like position in between 4 and 5. The machine gun sound is the dogs on the gears unsuccessfully trying to re-engage each other.
          Ditto. I have found that slowing down is the easiest way to shift out of that false neutral.. Alternatively, if you first make the rpms just right, it will slide right into gear (with the shifter).
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
            Hey Ian,

If you are having to pull your foot up very far when shifting, then you might also look into repositioning the shift lever a spline rotation CCW to lower it which will give you more leverage and not have to pull up on it so far which can help in making the shift action more firm and thorough!

T.C.
            My neighbors Harley has a double shift lever so he can upshift with his heel for a firmer action. I have been thinking of fabbing one for my XJ. Has anyone done this??
            "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Comment

Originally posted by XJkid View Post
              My neighbors Harley has a double shift lever so he can upshift with his heel for a firmer action. I have been thinking of fabbing one for my XJ. Has anyone done this??
              A lot of BMW airheads have these as well. I wonder why this isn't a common feature on many bikes.
              ---------------
              XS1100SF daily rider
              XS1100F (parts/project bike)

Comment

Are you referring to a typical heel-toe shifter? Those would typically be more for a foot board application, I am certain one could be made for the XS11.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                  Are you referring to a typical heel-toe shifter? Those would typically be more for a foot board application, I am certain one could be made for the XS11.
                  Yeah, the heel/toe setup. I noticed how a footboard would make this easier to operate. In my efforts to run through the gears at high RPM, I have missed the gear completely and hit 9K- pooped my panties. I think I will try to make one. Will post pics if successful.
                  "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Comment

Originally posted by XJkid View Post
                    Yeah, the heel/toe setup. I noticed how a footboard would make this easier to operate. In my efforts to run through the gears at high RPM, I have missed the gear completely and hit 9K- pooped my panties. I think I will try to make one. Will post pics if successful.
                    If you're patient, you'll find the whole set-up on eBay sooner or later, floorboards and all. I think you're going to be disappointed with the thing. Shifting is much easier and more positive with toe shifter and foot on peg, JMHO.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

To each:his own. My wife had one on her Yamaha Radian and I sawed-off the heel part of the shifter right away. Hated it.
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER
                        I have a heel-toe shifter from an old Honda Trail 90 that fits right on the XJ. Also have mini-floorboards installed. Honda units is mounted 1 spline down from level (Toe is lower than heel) and I put a lot of miles on that set-up before the XJ went into semi-retirement.

Look around...the XS / XJ shift shaft splines are not unique and I bet there are other heel-toe shifters that would fit right up.

Now forward controls are another story...fairly rair to see a set for an XS 11 but some were made back in the day.
                        Jerry Fields
                        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                        '06 Concours
                        My Galleries Page.
                        My Blog Page.
                        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Hey XJkid,

I have that setup on my home made forward controls, but I still have the OEM toe shifter as well. An inexpensive experiment would be to get a go kart foot pedal from northern tool, then you can mod it..like put a hole in it to slide over the shift shaft...then you can split and bend the end opposite of the pedal to fit around the toe lever arm so it can grab/actuate it. Or you may have to use a small U bolt/clamp...whatever it takes to get it on there and into functional position and then try it out.

T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                          X