Re-use butterfly screws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butterflies

I sent a man six sets of XS650 carbs so he could learn the differences, in return he was to rebuild a set of 77s. After all was done the carbs he sent back looked great but ran like CR*P. He had put in new screws to hold the butterflies but they were not set in correctly, I set them by interchanging/ swapping the butterflies and all was good.
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

I replaced mine with stainless button head allen machine screws from Ace.
      Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
      Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
      Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
      Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
      Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
      K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
      81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by Tat2demon View Post
        I replaced mine with stainless button head allen machine screws from Ace.
        That sounds interesting in that I am replacing all the screws on the carb with stainless Allen heads. I did that with the carbs that have the Dynajet stage 1 kit and I like both the looks and how well allen heads work compared to Phillips screws.

Do you recall the thread dimensions of the butterfly screws you bought? No Ace around here but maybe True Value has them.
        82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Afraid I dont. Whatever the stock screws are. I didnt have to grind them down or anything. If you cant find any I would be happy to pick some up here and send them your way for cost and shipping.
          Nate

K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
          81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

I was thinking about it a bit ago, theyre not button head. They are stainless and allen head but the regular countersunk head like the stock screwed are.
            Nate

K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
            81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by Tat2demon View Post
              I was thinking about it a bit ago, theyre not button head. They are stainless and allen head but the regular countersunk head like the stock screwed are.
              Thanks for the offer. Tomorrow I'm going to see what is available locally as I do like the idea of Allen heads in this butterfly plate's location. Someday someone else will be opening these up and I don't want that to be any harder than it has to be. Allens are really good at coming out. The countersunk head sounds good as I don't think a flat base would be secure on the hollow opening below. If I can't find them then I'd definitely appreciate the offer.

Gary
              Last edited by KA1J; 08-11-2013, 09:26 PM.
              82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

screws

Mikes XS has the screws. Cheap too. I haven't bought any for a couple years but the last time I think I got 54 of them. I was rebuilding carbs at the time and always fully tear down the carbs and polish the bodies inside and out. Hard to do with the butterflys still in. Think I have seven sets of carbs done now with three more waiting to be done.
                mack
                79 XS 1100 SF Special
                HERMES
                original owner
                http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                SPICA
                http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                IOTA
                https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                Frankford, Ont, Canada
                613-398-6186

Comment

@ Tat,

Thank you again for your kind offer to source some of these and send them to me at cost. It turns out the local True Value had exactly what I needed at M3 x .50 thread & 8mm long and stainless. I bought 9 of them just in case I lost one...

I was going to re-use the old screws but these new ones & with allen head are far better. They may stick out a bit farther than the old ones but I'm not racing & that's just fine with me.

Thanks again for the offer to help.

Comment

Great to hear!
                    Nate

K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                    81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Working...
                    X