No announcement yet.

Re-Attaching Vacuum Advance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I was wrong and right. he sent the advance, but it was for a'79. Oh well. I have it on now all greased-up with some copper anti-seize lubricant. Idle @ F, 5200k @ 36°, wirhout even touxhing anything! Now, onto carbs sync.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Got the advance and pod on without a hitch. I was unsucessful tuning the carbs tonight, so in the morning I.am going to reset them all to 2 1/2 turns out and go from there. As of right now, I have decent top end pull after 4-5k, but it bogs a little before then accelerating. I tried that tuning via "highest vacuum" with the Carb Tune, and was unsuccessful. I did not notice any difference on the sticks turning the screw one way or another.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

If your bog is between 3-4K, and you don't have a cross over in your muffler system, you will not get rid of the bog.
        CZ

Comment

No, it's from idle upto 4-5k. I just have them tuned rich right now I think. I'll pull tje plugs in the morning.
          1979 XS1100F

Comment

6 pages about the ignition. There are less pages in the manual- the things that make ya go hmm. He sent the wrong parts; he sent the right parts- it's just hard to follow, huh. The funny part is that he has ruined a bike that ran great from 1989 until 2012 then he decided he "needed" to adjust the timing chain incorrectly and crashed all the valves. Don't email me Ian. I'm tired of it.
            Good bye and Thanks
            79 F; CNC cut 2nd gear dogs; Ported/Milled head; Modded Airbox 8x8 bottom auto filter; more initial timing adv. , less Cent., no Vac. Adv.

Comment

Umm, not sure where the above post came from, but I'll ask the mods to remove it. The bike is running great. Did I ruin the bike bending valves and getting it back running again? No. Did I ruin the bike putting the original mechanical advance on to help with my gas mileage? No. Sorry you're having a bad day Scott, but those six pages on "ignition" help prevent me from making more mistakes that might "ruin" the bike. So, no worries about emailing you questions. Forgive me for seeking your wisdom in seeing this bike live on. Thank you for this beautiful bike, and if it takes another six pages of forum questions and comments to make sure it rides great today, tomorrow, and the day after I certainly will.
              1979 XS1100F

Comment

Sounds to me that you have been a bit of a PITA to Scott. Maybe as the seller he expected to not have to babysit anyone and provide more and more parts as well as his personal time etc as we have seen offered in other posts.
                As for the valves...well they were a special grind IIRC and so maybe he has seen his baby lose some of it's cache. Maybe he feels that he offered you a lot of help (and parts) on that one, and it never gelled due to timing or whatever else you may think of.
                No you did not ruin the bike by trying to put the original mechanical advance on, it is yours and you can do what you please with it. Sounds to me that Scott again went to Bat for you and sent you parts.
                Then you post that they were the wrong ones and in the very next post you say well "I was wrong and right". Then we all wonder if Scott even has a clue as to what he sold you. Could be that you are expecting too much from your PO. Most of us do not have that kind of help. It usually is a "Where is / As is" sale.
                I guess my point is that the bike is yours now and so is the responsibility for it. Scott has done way more than any previous owner I have ever seen to work with you and he seems to be tired of it. I have dealt with Scott on a few occasions and have no issues with anything.
                We all want you to succeed for sure. We all will offer the best advice we can muster.
                2-79 XS1100 SF
                2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

^ I agree with you 99%. The exception being that he offered the parts and help, I never asked. I also paid for those parts. I asked for a '78 advance, was assured it was a '78 advance, and was sent a '79 advance. Do I understand his frustration? Yes. However, I found his "rant" innapropriate for this forum, and he coulda sent me a PM or email. I'm not above criticism, and have had my fair share on here. But, one thing I will not accept easily is to be disrespected, which is exactly how I feel I have been. I'm done with the issue.
                  1979 XS1100F

Comment

Sorry sounds a bit wrong to me.
                    If you paid for those parts the good for you, as I would expect nothing less.
                    His rant, is his alone, so deal with it as you will.
                    I know you have had criticism on here before as I have personally handed it out to you.
                    No one including Scott is disrespecting you. !!!!
                    2-79 XS1100 SF
                    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Well, I decided to go back to the modified mechanical advance with vacuum advance deletion. I missed the full-advance I received with the locked-out pod. Bike runs super-smooth, with not so much as a stumble. I guess I'll see what kind of mileage I'll get, as I was only getting 114 miles before I hit reserve.
                      1979 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                      X