Fork seal stop leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork seal stop leak

I just read that you can use stop leak in the forks. I used the "search" and didn't find what I was looking for. I really don't know much about my forks (don't even know how to add oil) and was wondering if someone could tell me how to try it. The one fork has been leaking since I owned the bike, a little over a year and doesn't leak a lot (still has oil in it and leaks out a little each time I ride). What should I used and where do I put it in. My forks are smooth and not pitted so I would like to try this before taking my forks apart. Is there a way to drain the forks so I know how much to put in? And what stop leak should I use and how much and where do I put it in at? Thanks guys.
    Jeff
    77 XS750 2D completely stock
    79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Jeff,

IMHO, that's a waste of time. You need to replace the seals. Your fork oil is probably as old as the bike too. It's time for you to learn a new task. The worst part is taking the forks off the bike.

Another thing; the fork can leak oil, yet still hold air. The air can only leak out the top of the fork. It can't get through the bottom seal unless there is little to no oil in there.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

There was one guy who mentioned using stop leak and 0W engine oil in his forks for oil. I think he is the only one who thinks its a good idea. You won't get many people, especially any gurus telling you its a common or OK practice. Almost everyone is going to tell you to change your fork seals and use fork oil. I personally would stick with fork oil and see no benefit to the stop leak. Im sure fork oul is formulated specifically for the conditions and to achieve long seal life. I highly doubt anyone can make a home made concoction that would perform comparably. JMO
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I guess it makes the seal swell and tighter. I saw another place that had little plastic shoe horn devices that you shoved in there that got the dirt out I guess and are guaranteed to stop the leak. I don't see how they can guarantee that if dirt is not what is causing the leak. I am not taking the forks off till this winter so I thought maybe the stop leak would work till then. I ride to work a lot around 100 miles a day so thought it might hold me over. My fork doesn't pour oil out but it does leak, has been for a year. What happens when it runs dry? I guess the other fork is taking all the slack of the bad one.
        Jeff

Comment

Once upon a time, I had a forklift automatic trnsmission that leaked oil. A friend, who owns a transmission repair shop, told me to put a cup of brake fluid in the transmission.
          I did, and it hasn't leaked since. (it's been years)
          The brake fluid softens the elastomers in the seals, and if they aren't cracked, they should start sealing again.
          You might try a tablespoon of brake fluid in each tube, and let us know the outcome. It can't hurt anything, and if it doesn't help, you are no worse off than you were, and we will have learned something.

CZ

Comment

How do I get fluid in the forks?
            Jeff

Comment

This won't fix it, but there is a method to extend seal life. When you park your bike at the end of your ride, dampen a rag with a little fork oil and wipe down the forks. This will help a lot over time.

Brake fluid is going to swell up everything in there. Will it do damage? I don't know.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
                How do I get fluid in the forks?
                You have to take the cap off of the top. You pour it in there.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post

Brake fluid is going to swell up everything in there. Will it do damage? I don't know.
                  The only thing in there that it would affect is the seal at the top of the sliders, and maybe an O-ring on the drain plug, and all the ones I've seen had a copper washer as the seal there and at the machine screw at the bottom of the sliders that is holding the damper assembly.
                  And if he is just trying to get by till this winter, it is a good opportunity to experiment with the process.
                  If mine leaked, I would try it myself.

CZ

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                    You have to take the cap off of the top. You pour it in there.
                    Be careful there. You should put the bike on the centerstsnd and use blocking at the front of the engine if if remove the caps. If you don't do that, the springs and things come up, and the front end goes down, and if it is on the side stand, she is going over!
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Thanks for the warning skids, as I don't have a center stand so that would have happened had I tried it. I have been riding it the way it is since I got it and thought I might try to band aid it till winter. If not, I will still ride it till winter unless it starts pouring or handling poorly.
                      Jeff

Comment

I guess you could use a bike jack.
                        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

What happens when it runs dry? I guess the other fork is taking all the slack of the bad one.
                          That's not very likely to happen, but if it does, you'll know. You'll be riding a pogo stick.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
                            Once upon a time, I had a forklift automatic trnsmission that leaked oil. A friend, who owns a transmission repair shop, told me to put a cup of brake fluid in the transmission.
                            I did, and it hasn't leaked since. (it's been years)
                            The brake fluid softens the elastomers in the seals, and if they aren't cracked, they should start sealing again.
                            You might try a tablespoon of brake fluid in each tube, and let us know the outcome. It can't hurt anything, and if it doesn't help, you are no worse off than you were, and we will have learned something.

CZ
                            Actually, it's the mix of the automatic transmission fluid and the brake fluid that does its work to swell the seal(s). About 8 years ago, I had had a persistent leak from the front brake master cylinder; brakes worked fine; I didn't want to take anything apart cuz they worked so well. Had been persistent leak for couple years. A fellow rider told me to add some ATF to the reservoir brake fluid. He guaranteed it to stop the leak, and guaranteed that no harm would come to the brake system or effectiveness. So I mixed about half and half the contents of the reservoir. Leak stopped in a couple weeks; brakes have worked fine ever since, and no leak. jjz28 might consider to make a mix of half&half, or maybe 2 parts ATF, 1 part brake fluid, drain what he's got in the fork tubes, and put the mix (proper number of total oz.) in each fork tube.
                            JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
                            7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

Working...
                            X