Need help with rear mc rebuild please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with rear mc rebuild please

I bought a rear master cylinder off a '79 on Ebay to use in delinking the brakes on my XJ and bought a K&L rebuild kit too. In comparing the kit with what was in the used mc I realized the mc had some parts missing so now I'm not sure how the kit goes together inside the mc. I searched for a photo of a rebuilt plunger for a mc rebuild but didn't see one. The kit is on the left and on the right is what came out of the used mc:

[IMG][/IMG]

Here are my questions: 1). The C-shaped clip goes on the plunger in the 5/8" space towards the left end (bottom)of the plunger and is held in place with the circle clip and this limits the plunger travel in the mc bore to approx 1/2" up and down? 2). The thicker seal goes in the middle of the plunger and the thin one at the top...with the cupped side facing up on each? 3). Please explain how the upper seal, washer, small cap, and spring go together on the upper end of the plunger (what order and right side up)?

The other thing I'm wondering is more cosmetic than functional but here goes. The reservoir is pretty rough looking on 2 of the 3 sides...

[IMG][/IMG]

The third side looks good...

[IMG][/IMG]

The holes in the bottom of the reservoir line up with the threaded holes in the master cylinder so that either of the 2 ratty sides will face out but not for the clean side to face out. Can I drill a third set of holes in the bottom of the reservoir to orient it so the good side faces out?

Thanks for the feedback.
    Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

I rebuilt my rear master a couple weeks ago. That middle rubber diaphragm is a toughy to get on. I used a hooked pick and carefully made it go on. The rubber is pretty tough. And it has good memory. So you can stretch the heck out of it and it will go right back to it's shape.
    Then install the assembly how you have it laid out on the left.

As far as the Reservoir, I don't see why you couldn't re-drill it if you want.
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

You can sand the reservoir down to get past the degraded plastic and the clear coat it.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
      X