11F Sound System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11F Sound System

Running stock, could this overload the generator, or might I be okay?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=360697866736
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

The stock answer is - it depends. Neither the XS or XJ put out positive power from the generator until you get up to around 3K RPM. If you do a lot of stop-and-go, in-town riding and run the radio you will be draining the battery. If you run at speed you should be OK, depending on if you have other devices (auxilary lights or heated vest, for example) installed. There is not a lot of extra power in the XS - XJ system which is one reason people switch to LED lighting; this frees up some extra electrical power.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Hey there Ian,

Jerry's right with regards to there's not much extra power in the charging system for "goodies". Looking at the description and wiring diagram, it shows 2 fuses...one 0.5 amp for all the time ON...would assume needed for clock or remembering radio station presets, and then 2 amp for the actual unit. The description says 15 watt up to 30 watt max input power which would actually be the current/power draw. 30 divided by 12V is ~2.5 amps which is the total of the fuses! The stock ALT puts out a max of 20 amps for the XS and ~25 for the XJ.

The tail lights draw 8 watts running and 27 watts brake lights, and if you have a dual bulb tail/brake light, that's 16 and 54 watts..converting them to LED can reduce that draw to just 0.3 amps....~ 4 watts. So you can see how you can free up a few amps with this conversion to allow for extra devices.

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
      X