No announcement yet.

Auto CCT cross reference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the manual one the FJ guys use, looks like it can't slip...

2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
      Here's the manual one the FJ guys use, looks like it can't slip...

Yes that's right. But it seems odd that they are metalling the manual ones, as per the pic, I response to a perceived problem with the type of ACCT that we, including me, have put on their XS1100s. I've left my automatic one on the XJR
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

James... my guess is that eventually the auto tensioners could fail causing extensive engine damage and the person that it happens to (or person reading about it) may not trust them anymore. They may then choose to go to a threaded manual type tensioner that positively will not fail. They look bullet proof unlike the OEM XS type with the flimsy sliding plunger and lock down bolt.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

Comment

James... my guess is that eventually the auto tensioners could fail causing extensive engine damage and the person that it happens to (or person reading about it) may not trust them anymore. They may then choose to go to a threaded manual type tensioner that positively will not fail. They look bullet proof unlike the OEM XS type with the flimsy sliding plunger and lock down bolt.
          All really that it would take for one to fail would be for the small little spring on the ratchet mechanism to fail and then in theory the plunger would be free to go in and out except for the main spring.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yep Nate, if the ratchet should fail, I would bet that beefy spring would keep the chain from skipping teeth, we should hope.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

hey bonz, I went to the bike salvage yard here in phoenix and for $20.00 got my acct from a venture. took about 10 minutes to install it without any modifications. well worth the time and money 'cause when I got the original stock unit out it was bound up and probably not working correctly at all. my bike only had about 13,000 miles on it so probably no damage done. knowing what problems can come from a bad stock unit i'd gladly pay a premium price for an acct unit. i'd be happy to go see if the other acct unit is still there. let me know.

Comment

Yes, IMO, changing the Xs1100 OEM assembly is a must. The manual one in the pic is pretty foolproof, I would say. The thing is, on the XJR, the OEM tensioner really is something strong looking, so it seems unnecessary to remove it, especially since the 'upgrade' on the XS1100 is probably not as strong, if you see what I mean. I dare say that the one in the pic would fit an XS1100 actually...... Maybe?
                XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Now I do not see where the manual one James presented could fail it is the best fix. However I do see where people unfamiliar could torque that thing down and really create problems. Most failures in these machines come from someone at some time not doing a proper adjustment or using the wrong oil and some not doing anything (run it till it breaks).

The biggest possibility in failure of the ACCT I see would stem from the dependability of it. The tendancy is if it has no problem to leave it alone. The issue I can see is our oil tends to pick up fiber from clutch and become some what gummy. After long periods it could stick to or settle into the teeth or the spring of the ACCT. Then as the unit feels slack it tries to move to the next tooth and can not get a good grip so it could sit there for a long period just barely having a grip till the old tooth filled also. Now you have a unit the is not far from slipping and having no locking action at all just a spring.

My thought process to avoid this slip is maybe once a year to take it off clean it check the spring action of the catch mechanism for crud and gum, clean inspect and reinstall.
                  To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                  1980 G Silverbird
                  Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                  1198 Overbore kit
                  Grizzly 660 ACCT
                  Barnett Clutch Springs
                  R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                  122.5 Main Jets
                  ACCT Mod
                  Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                  Antivibe Bar ends
                  Rear trunk add-on
                  http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Wow, thanks for pointing that out Ron about the maintenance of the ACCT. I would have never thought about checking it till you said something. There will be a point down the road where I.want to go over my bike's electrics and make sure all is working. Plus, I'll maybe do an HID conversion and put Tkat's fuse box in.
                    1979 XS1100F
                    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                      put Tkat's fuse box in.
                      Just for clarification, tkat only does fork braces. TopCatGr (or TC) has the fusebox.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                      X