Fork guts change over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork guts change over

I was told that the 82 XJ fork guts could be swapped out with my 79 Standard forks guts for a better rebound and then not having to get emulators. Is this correct?
    79 XS11

The XJ forks probably still won't be as 'good' as a set of properly-adjusted emulators with better springs. It will give you more control over damping rates, but depending on how you do the parts swap you may give up some features.

If you swap 'all' the 'guts' (basically just use the Special lowers with the complete XJ fork tubes including the air 'crossover'), you'll gain control of the damping while retaining the air portion. You'll have to mod your headlight ears for this.

If you just used the adjustable dampers in the Special forks, you'll lose the air feature. I wouldn't recommend this unless you're planning on replacing the OEM springs with aftermarket, and a bit of experimentation with fork oil level will be needed. This will also change ride height slightly as the XJ dampers are a bit longer.

Emulators have been touted as a 'huge improvement' in the stock forks, and while they can offer that, most riders will never use the full capabilities of them. You really need to replace the stock springs if using emulators, and for many riders just doing that will improve handling by a considerable amount. At that point you can experiment with fork oil weights and levels for 'tuning' the forks for the best combination of ride quality/handling that suits you.

If you don't have a fork brace and are still running the stock springs, these will offer more improvement that just emulators alone by far.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

fork stuff

fwiw, I have p.o. installed Works Performance springs in my '80 Special and they are pretty firm. I don't like them. I've shortened the "spacer" by about 6mm in order to soften them up a bit and I don't run any air pressure at all in the front end. still not crazy about the "firm" ride. i ride mostly on the freeway and i'm used to a smooth soft ride. i hardly ever get into any twisties that would warrant stiffer springs. I also installed a tkat fork brace about 2 months ago, not real crazy about that thing as well. feels like it also makes the front end very "firm". and yes, my entire front suspension is in order, no defects, new tire, all new brakes, new fork seals(all correctly installed), 10w fork oil. everything works, just not to my liking. guess i'm getting soft in my old age i'll probably remove the fork brace and get some "stock" springs before i do my next trip to california next month.

Comment

Originally posted by 650mark View Post
        fwiw, I have p.o. installed Works Performance springs in my '80 Special and they are pretty firm. I don't like them. I've shortened the "spacer" by about 6mm in order to soften them up a bit and I don't run any air pressure at all in the front end. still not crazy about the "firm" ride. i ride mostly on the freeway and i'm used to a smooth soft ride. i hardly ever get into any twisties that would warrant stiffer springs. I also installed a tkat fork brace about 2 months ago, not real crazy about that thing as well. feels like it also makes the front end very "firm". and yes, my entire front suspension is in order, no defects, new tire, all new brakes, new fork seals(all correctly installed), 10w fork oil. everything works, just not to my liking. guess i'm getting soft in my old age i'll probably remove the fork brace and get some "stock" springs before i do my next trip to california next month.
        Removing that fork brace WILL cause some ill-handling, specially with heavy crosswinds doing a LD ride on the slab. That brace also supports the upper portion of cyl. tubes, saving wear on the unobtanium fork tube guides.....JAT. BTW, the fork brace has nothing to do with the dampening or ride.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
          Emulators have been touted as a 'huge improvement' in the stock forks, and while they can offer that, most riders will never use the full capabilities of them. You really need to replace the stock springs if using emulators, and for many riders just doing that will improve handling by a considerable amount. At that point you can experiment with fork oil weights and levels for 'tuning' the forks for the best combination of ride quality/handling that suits you.
          The thing I don't see mentioned when speaking of emulators is braking. Right away, that's where I felt the biggest improvement. I was surprised by how much better it feels when getting hard on the brakes. The sudden dive is gone.

Steve is right. You'll need straight rate springs with them. You're still going to be experimenting with fork oil, both quantity and viscosity. In addition, the emulators are fully adjustable. OOPS! I almost forgot, spring preload is adjustable too.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

I wondered how long it would be before Marty noticed this thread....

I will say that I've had decent success reducing brake dive with a spring change and playing with the fork oil level/viscosity. But I wouldn't say that straight-rate springs are a requirement with emulators, I've had good results (for me) with Progressve springs. But if you want to do some serious corner-carving, the stock forks need all the help the can get...
            Last edited by crazy steve; 07-18-2013, 04:08 PM.
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I've had decent success reducing brake dive with a spring change and playing with the fork oil level/viscosity.
              Yep. That works. Raising the oil level, and thus reducing the air space in the fork, reduces the dive. BUT, you knew that!
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

I don't really push it in the curves, I just was trying to reduce the diving when braking. I might just try the progressive springs.

Thanks for the input.

Bart
                79 XS11

Comment

Working...
                X