Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
    Hi Davey,
    only in North America would an 1100cc bike be offered with a gas tank sized to suit a lawn mower.
    BTW, how could you possibly turn a simple one-hour swap job into a nightmare?
    Come on Fred! My LOW FUEL light doesn't come on until I've traveled 95 miles!
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
      Agreed. If you can build a cafe bike and do it right, you can get a return on it. Doin' it right is the key. We're accustomed to seeing bikes on here that miss the mark or or look down right butchered. That's why you're getting grief.
      Rightfully so IMO... I have high expectations when someone decides to cut up a very nice example of a bike like the one you started with. I dont care for the full dress look either but think it would have looked better stock without the dress and maybe just some clubman bars than what I see so far. I will draw my final conclusion once you are done though. In the end it doesn't matter what I think though.
      Last edited by WMarshy; 07-16-2013, 09:40 AM.
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Small market

Agreed. If you can build a cafe bike and do it right, you can get a return on it. Doin' it right is the key. We're accustomed to seeing bikes on here that miss the mark or or look down right butchered. That's why you're getting grief.
        Hi Marty,
        selling a stock bike is easy as the marketability depends mainly on what condition it's in.
        Turn that same bike into any kind of custom machine and your potential market is cut 'way back.
        As seen in this very string, even some of those who like cafe racers don't like what's been done to that one.
        So, yeah, selling a cafe bike that's done right can get a fair return provided you can find someone who likes what's been done to it enough to buy it rather than buy a stocker and DIY exactly what he wants.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Bike tanks are too small.

Come on Fred! My LOW FUEL light doesn't come on until I've traveled 95 miles!
          Hi Marty,
          perhaps I exaggerate to make a point? Riding mower perhaps?
          Having only a 95 mile fuel range means that any out of town ride cannot be planned around visiting places of interest because you are locked into stopping at gas pumps instead.
          For example, we filled the car before we drove back to Saskatoon from Drumheller and still had a 1/4-tank left when we got home.
          Same trip on the Pumpkin would involve 4 carefully planned gas stops and that's with my Standard tank.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

As seen in this very string, even some of those who like cafe racers don't like what's been done to that one.

Where did you read this? Only complaining that has been done is from the guys who are upset I modified it in the first place. I found this site by searching "XS1100 cafe" and saw several decent examples in different threads. I assumed this site was for fans of the bike in whatever form it might take. I didn't realize it was Restoration site! Looking at most of the signatures just in this thread, it looks like most of you have done things to your bikes to improve performance, looks, and reliability. I came here for technical help, but I guess I opened myself up to whatever by asking your guys opinions in my last sentance of my first post. I wont repeat that mistake again!
            80 SG Cafe~in Progress
            03 V-Star 650
            71 BSA Thunderbolt barn find

Comment

It's your bike...and in my opinion its looking pretty slick already.
              79 SF

Comment

Relax Slow Hand, There's a LOT of experience speaking here in this thread. It's just the opinions of those that have seen a lot of these great old bikes be butchered in the name of customization so it's the natural urge to discourage highly modifying. It's absolutely NOTHING personal.

As I said before, it's your bike to do with as you wish. Some have turned out very nice but most just end up getting parted out because when they have been customized and there is a problem with handling or an electrical issue it's difficult to offer repair advise because the modifiers modifications are HIS and there is no manual or personal experience that applies.

Please don't be offended. As I said before, none is intended.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Slow Hand,

You are welcome here and we will help you if and when you need it. We may also give our opinions whether or not you want it. You can't be thin skinned and get along here. There are also hundreds and hundreds of lurkers. Be welcome!

Personally, I like the cafe style. I've given thought to taking an XS11 that way. I like it because it's big. I see myself looking like a circus bear on a tricycle on a small bike. Best wishes for a successful project!
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Hi Marty,
                    perhaps I exaggerate to make a point? Riding mower perhaps?
                    Having only a 95 mile fuel range means that any out of town ride cannot be planned around visiting places of interest because you are locked into stopping at gas pumps instead.
                    For example, we filled the car before we drove back to Saskatoon from Drumheller and still had a 1/4-tank left when we got home.
                    Same trip on the Pumpkin would involve 4 carefully planned gas stops and that's with my Standard tank.
                    I'm yanking your chain, Fred! I nearly ran out of fuel returning from XS East. US 64 has a long stretch of nothing before Hayesville, NC. When I got there, I pumped 4 gal into my SG! That's the closest I've come to walking.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

...Doin' it right is the key. We're accustomed to seeing bikes on here that miss the mark or or look down right butchered. That's why you're getting grief.
                      The devil's in the details....

If the mods look like that's the way it should be, a modded bike will retain more value. But generally speaking, if the same effort is put into restoring the bike (or at least refurbishing it back to near stock) it will be worth more $$.
                      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '80SG restified, red SOLD
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I'm yanking your chain, Fred! I nearly ran out of fuel returning from XS East. US 64 has a long stretch of nothing before Hayesville, NC. When I got there, I pumped 4 gal into my SG! That's the closest I've come to walking.
                        Marty, how did you get 4 gals into a 3.9 gal tank ?!?! Maybe you were filling up the fuel lines and the carb bowls too.
                        Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                        The Green Monster
                        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                        Got him in '04.
                        bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                        Scarlet
                        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                        Got her in '11
                        Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                        Hugo
                        Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                        Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by Slow Hand View Post
                          Where did you read this? Only complaining that has been done is from the guys who are upset I modified it in the first place. - - - I guess I opened myself up to whatever by asking your guys opinions in my last sentence of my first post. I wont repeat that mistake again!
                          Hi Doug,
                          anything that bolts off can be bolted back on again. It's non-reversible frame modifications that gets some people upset.
                          Note that even those who didn't like you cut'n'welding the frame said you had a perfect right to do so. Indeed, the only negative comment on what you had done was from some carping old bastard who didn't like the rear light placement.
                          BTW, if you want to see a really scathing reply, try hardtailing the bike.
                          And even if you don't ask for opinions, you'll still get them.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
                            Marty, how did you get 4 gals into a 3.9 gal tank ?!?!
                            Crooked gas pump.
                            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                              Crooked gas pump.
                              Yep, I've ran into those.... put 22 into a 20 gallon tank once, and I drove into the station...
                              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                              '82 XJ rebuild project
                              '80SG restified, red SOLD
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
                                Marty, how did you get 4 gals into a 3.9 gal tank ?!?! Maybe you were filling up the fuel lines and the carb bowls too.
                                I may well have pumped 3.9 or 3.95. The point is, I was running on what was left in the bowls. It was getting dark and I was starting to believe I was going to get stuck. I don't remember the indicated miles, but I do remember that I had gone farther than I thought I could.

I'm keeping that tank on there, just because I like the way it looks! I'm a big fan of the Special, be it a 650, 850, or 1100!
                                Marty (in Mississippi)
                                XS1100SG
                                XS650SK
                                XS650SH
                                XS650G
                                XS6502F
                                XS650E

Comment

Working...
                                X