speedometer noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedometer noise

I've been getting an intermittent squeaking noise coming from my speedometer. I'm guessing it and/or the cable needs lubrication. Any tips or suggestions for doing that?
    Robert
    79 SF

Squeaking can come from any of the 3 components in the path: front axle drive, cable, speedometer.

There is a worm gear in the speedo drive unit. The big gear rides on a shaft, no bearings. Remove the drive, pry out the one circular clip with a fine-tipped screwdriver, and grease the shaft. (I use a white lithium grease that comes in a 'toothpaste' tube, available at most Sears stores in the garage door opener section.) Reassemble the drive and put it back on the bike.

Speedo cable generally does not need lubrication, but it doesn't hurt. While you have the drive off for servicing, unhook the cable drive from the back of the speedo. Pull out the inner cable. I put some white lithium in the palm of my hand than pull the cable through it. Put the inner cable back in the assembly and re-attach to the speedo. if you don't pull the drive, unhook the speedo cable from the drive before you grease it. Inner cable ends are square, so you might have to rotate the cable a bit to fit it back into both the drive and speedo ends.

Having taken my XJ speedo apart I can tell you there isn't much in the unit to lubricate. There is a worm gear powered by the cable that can use a *light* application of grease, otherwise some sewing machine oil on the odometer wheels is about it. The reset shaft can use some grease.

Speedo photo:

http://sopris.net/~fieldsj/e-mail/speedo3.jpg

Reset shaft is at left, top of worm gear is at bottom right.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
    X