No announcement yet.

How often do you check your oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I am on a long trip, I check it nearly every fill-up. I had an experience where I used a whole quart between tankfulls. It was Mobil 1 Synthetic (before I knew any better) and maybe at highway speed the rings couldn't wipe the cylinders effeciently. I have never had that problem since using blended oil or dino juice. Around town, I check it once in a while.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

About every other day or so for good measure. I like to keep it near the top of the window. No worry about gas as my std petcocks have an off position. I use about a quart or littke more every 1000 miles.
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Every fill up unless I've just changed it.... got in that habit with my E (hey, I had on the centerstand anyway to get the tank as full as possible), kept it up....
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
          About every other day or so for good measure. I like to keep it near the top of the window. No worry about gas as my std petcocks have an off position. I use about a quart or littke more every 1000 miles.
          And I thought you where doing a burnout in that avatar not burning oil Just kiddin.
          Jeff
          77 XS750 2D completely stock
          79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

More than half the people saying they check it ever ride only ride once a week! j/k
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Working...
            X