How often do you check your oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you check your oil?

So, just a little curious here, how often do you guys check your oil? When I was younger, I burned-up two 750 engines in one summer not checking the oil level.
    Every time before you ride?
    56.00%
    Every other day?
    4.00%
    Once a week?
    36.00%
    When you're broke down on the side of the road and engine won't turn ovee cuz the main is seized up?
    4.00%

The poll is expired.

1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

When you say 'check' do you mean looking at the sight glass or something a little more involved?

I guess for me, I 'check' the sight glass almost everytime I have the bike on the center stand. (maybe once a week) I do trust my oil warning light.
    If the level got too low in my G, after coming to a stop light, the oil warning light would come on briefly and I'd very soon after that put about 1/2 qt in.
    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
    The Green Monster
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
    Got him in '04.
    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
    Scarlet
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
    Got her in '11
    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
    Hugo
    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
    Cold weather ride

Comment

maybe once a week or so. just takes a couple seconds to look at it.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

It only takes a few minutes to walk around a bike check for oil dripping, parts loose, tires low, brake fluid level, and oil level etc. I do it every time I stop for gas. I guarentee its a lot less time than it takes to fix the bike or heal if you have an accident and less money than it takes to haul it home. My dad always refered to the oil light as a dummy light. ( you have run it out of oil dummy)
        To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
        1980 G Silverbird
        Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
        1198 Overbore kit
        Grizzly 660 ACCT
        Barnett Clutch Springs
        R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
        122.5 Main Jets
        ACCT Mod
        Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
        Antivibe Bar ends
        Rear trunk add-on
        http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

I fill it every evening I go ridin'. I really need to get my valve seals replaced this winter.. And a pesky head gasket oil leak that just won't quit.

1) Fire up Internet Explorer
          2) http://www.yahoo.com
          3) type "www.mapquest.com" into the Yahoo search page.
          4) go about day as VP managing multi-million dollar financial contracts.

Comment

Okie only uses a quart about every 1000 under normal use so about every couple weeks I look at it.

Haven't ridden The Hornet enough to know for sure but it looks like it's gonna be about the same.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

About once a month I pull the cap and smell for gas. I have zero leaks so its something Im not too concerned about.
              Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
              Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
              Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
              Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
              Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
              K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
              81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

I check mine before I leave every time just to be sure there is not gas in it. Never know when something may fail.
                Jeff
                77 XS750 2D completely stock
                79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Um, now and then, when I think about it.
                  But the BSA is a different story. 300 miles from home and developed a nasty oil leak.
                  Not a by the roadside fix.
                  Stop every half-hour to buy a quart of 15W40 (heaviest that most gas stations carry) to pour into the oil tank and check the gas.
                  Made it to within 5 miles of home before the bore seized.
                  So, Two buttons to press! Before every ride AND when seized up at the side of the road.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                    But the BSA is a different story. 300 miles from home and developed a nasty oil leak.
                    Stop every half-hour to buy a quart of 15W40 (heaviest that most gas stations carry) to pour into the oil tank and check the gas.
                    So, Two buttons to press! Before every ride AND when seized up at the side of the road.
                    Ha ha ha, that's what you get for riding that Brit POS Fred.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
                      I check mine before I leave every time just to be sure there is not gas in it. Never know when something may fail.
                      +1. I check it before every ride in case I have a stuck float or needle valve which could cause a major catastrophe if there is gas in my oil. For the few seconds it takes and the ease of mind I will always do it.
                      Point is that until I joined this forum I never knew it could be an issue. I know of at least two instances where this has happened to me. Both would have been financially devastating at the time, as well as mentally. This forum is great!
                      This is also why I have elected to run my Octy on all my bikes that have it. I hate the damn thing but it gives me one more point of possible protection.
                      My 2 cents.
                      2-79 XS1100 SF
                      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Ever since i had my accident on my Kawasaki last year and got fuel in the oil,i check both bikes every time i start them.
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        Inline fuel filters
                        New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                        160 mph speedometer mod
                        Kerker Exhaust
                        xschop K & N air filter setup
                        Dynojet Recalibration kit
                        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                        1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                          Ha ha ha, that's what you get for riding that Brit POS Fred.
                          Hi Greg,
                          HA! Mocking me for supporting my heritage, eh?
                          Riding an oil-puking POS Britbike is a tradition I shall proudly maintain.
                          Admittedly that was the last time I rode the thing the ~300 miles to the Handhills small bike rally, these days it travels there in a trailer and is only ridden on the 20 mile lunch ride to Wayne AB
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I check every time I ride a few hundred miles as I need to do the valves seals too.

Originally posted by ViperRon View Post
                            My dad always refered to the oil light as a dummy light. ( you have run it out of oil dummy)
                            +1 on that, if you're waiting for an oil light to come on you're basically waiting for the "Your engine IS destroying itself" red light to tell you when to check the oil.

UNLESS its an XJ11 with oil level light, the oil light on XS11's is an oil PRESSURE light, if its on your crank has no oil pressure. This also means everywhere else will be starved of oil, cams/head, gearbox pressure fed shafts, the underneath of pistons are cooled with oil thrown from the crank so even a couple of seconds oil light on will mean pistons getting too hot.

Tom
                            1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                            1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                            1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                            1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                              Fred once when I was 18 my folks went on vacation - I went on a date and took Dad's Mercedes 300D to impress - I was late and driving too fast on a bad road bottomed out near the dancehall.

Upon coming out after there was a sea of oil surrounding the car...I'd cracked the oil pan and everything was dry.

Since in my beer addled brain all I needed to do was get the car home 35 miles... I went to the nearby 7-11 and wiped the shelf of all the cheap motor oil they had - about 14 quarts - put 8 in and drove a few miles - stopped and added more - every 5 miles till I got home and went to bed figuring I'd fix it in the am.

Did I park it in the ditch? NO! Right where I usually parked my Honda and proceeded to drain all remaining oil onto the driveway overnight that my Dad was so careful to keep a single spot off of.

Some JB Weld and dirt for camo and the MB was good as new. The drive was never the same.

I did not drive it anymore that trip

John
                              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Working...
                              X