No announcement yet.

Hi New member with ignition woes (TCI)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just have to chime in here, too. The discussion about the pickups and the voltage level is important. There is an adjustment to the pickup gap. The gap that must be .7 millimeters or less otherwise the output of the pickups will be too low for the TCI to fire the coils.

So, you may have all the right voltages in all the right places. And everything "Ohms out", but that gap can be your downfall. Suggestion: while you're there, set the gap to .5 mm and Bob's your uncle. Don't ask me how I know, I just know.

It will take some fiddling to remove the timing mark plate, then re-install the bolt with a spacer (or use a couple of 10mm nuts) so you can rotate the crank to adjust both pickups. They adjust the same as you would an old set of points.
    Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Well in playing around with it today i noticed the fuse block had a cracked lower connector, i moved the fuse and the whole bottom piece fell apart, the holder for the brake light also is very very loose, so im ordering a new fuse block with spade type connectors, i talked with my dad the PO and he said he had been inside the TCI box before cleaning up some connectors, i found me a good deal on ebay for a different "known good" just in case, should know more by next week when that stuff comes in.
      80 SG

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
        I just have to chime in here, too. The discussion about the pickups and the voltage level is important. There is an adjustment to the pickup gap. The gap that must be .7 millimeters or less otherwise the output of the pickups will be too low for the TCI to fire the coils.

So, you may have all the right voltages in all the right places. And everything "Ohms out", but that gap can be your downfall. Suggestion: while you're there, set the gap to .5 mm and Bob's your uncle. Don't ask me how I know, I just know.

It will take some fiddling to remove the timing mark plate, then re-install the bolt with a spacer (or use a couple of 10mm nuts) so you can rotate the crank to adjust both pickups. They adjust the same as you would an old set of points.

I was thinking the same thing about the gap, but I couldn't find the spec anywhere, but I did remember reading about that, but didn't want to chime in without knowing 100% sure about it.
        Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
        The Green Monster
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
        Got him in '04.
        bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
        Scarlet
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
        Got her in '11
        Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
        Hugo
        Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
        Cold weather ride

Comment

Is there a guide on how to adjust the pickup coil gap? I have a new fuse box and extra TCI box on the way, there is 1 ground wire that i took off when replacing the pickup coil wires that were bad, i am going to double check that ground. Ive been looking around for instructionals for changing or checking the coil gap but have not really found anything yet. I assume i take off the timing plate and can just loosen a screw and adjust from there?
          New spark plugs were put in, i think someone asked that. Last night i did a voltage check from the TCI plug red/white to the coils Gray and Orange and while cranking i was getting a max of 3-4 volts.
          80 SG

Comment

Ok so figured out how to move the gap on pickup coils, not too complicated just remove 1 bolt from timing circle and there they are, I moved the gap in as close as i could and replaced the end of the 1 ground wire that i thought i may have boogered up. Still no change in spark or voltage.
            So now i wait for new parts and hope that its either the TCI box or my badgered fuse box.
            THanks for all the advice so far guys, i really have learned a lot from this site!
            80 SG

Comment

If you get out your .027" feeler gauge, point the reluctor lobe to the center of the P/U coil, with the screws loose, move the coil in/out until the proper gap is achieved, tighten down the screw with the slot first, then the other screw, check to make sure the gap is still correct after tigtening. As Randy mentioned, you can go a little closer than .7MM with the gap if you want, just not closer than .5MM. Repeat for the other P/U coil. I can't remember for sure, but you may be able to access the screws thru the holes on the timing plate. It will be much easier though if you remove the plate as Randy described.
              Last edited by bikerphil; 07-11-2013, 04:42 PM.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Got my new (to me) TCI box in today, hooked it up and bam we got spark again and i got her fired up! Now awaiting new fuse box and the tuning process, seems like the left side exhaust is hotter than right but thats for another day
                80 SG

Comment

Cool Justin! Get the tuning done and maybe we can ride together one of these day. NW Arkansas is one of my favorite places to ride
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Isn't someone on here doing repairs to the TCI's?
                    Ras?... CZ?... I can't remember who!

You could mail the 'bad' tci to them and they can 'repair' it and then there'd be another TCI available for someone else who may need one.
                    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                    The Green Monster
                    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                    Got him in '04.
                    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                    Scarlet
                    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                    Got her in '11
                    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                    Hugo
                    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                    Cold weather ride

Comment

Randy (DAVINCI) does it and either CZ or motorman was looking into getting started.
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
                        Isn't someone on here doing repairs to the TCI's?
                        Ras?... CZ?... I can't remember who!

You could mail the 'bad' tci to them and they can 'repair' it and then there'd be another TCI available for someone else who may need one.
                        I know for certain it is not me as I know about enough about elecktrickery to hurt myself.
                        2-79 XS1100 SF
                        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I did and would except i no longer have an XS to test it on
                          Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
                            I did and would except i no longer have an XS to test it on
                            Your Goldwing needs a sibling.......
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights
                            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines
                            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                            X