xs850 xs1100 final drive dip stick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs850 xs1100 final drive dip stick?

Hello, I need help and i'd bet one of you has the answer. Is the final drive dip stick the same on the xs850 and the xs1100. I have both bikes and only one dip stick.....I don't know what it cam from and need to check the 850. When I changed the final and middle drive fluids I wasn't sure so I drained it and put in the amount given in the manual.......I went for a 250 mile ride this weekend to find a lot of wet on the underside of my bike around the center stand. It has never dropped oil. At times the battery boils over. Just can't tell what it is. I hope it's just crap from the road. Anyway, little help on the dip stick?
    79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
    80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
    80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
    79 DT 100

The Boats.net site that a lot of folks use for parts and such only lists it as being used for the XS11 series bikes, not the 750 or 850, so apparently there is a difference, but don't know what it is. You might find info about the dimensions for one on the triples website.

The part # for the XS11 is: 2H7-2815A-00-00

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by xs11lover View Post
      Hello, I need help and i'd bet one of you has the answer. Is the final drive dip stick the same on the xs850 and the xs1100. I have both bikes and only one dip stick.....I don't know what it cam from and need to check the 850. When I changed the final and middle drive fluids I wasn't sure so I drained it and put in the amount given in the manual.......I went for a 250 mile ride this weekend to find a lot of wet on the underside of my bike around the center stand. It has never dropped oil. At times the battery boils over. Just can't tell what it is. I hope it's just crap from the road. Anyway, little help on the dip stick?
      ......give it he taste test. Check amount you put in by manual with the dipstick U have...compare....
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

The oil level for the FD should be just below the threads of the filler hole, don't really need the dip stick, you can just eye it.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Really?????
          79 DT 100

Comment

I've been using my 11 dipstick on my 850 FD for years now. It's still going.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
              The oil level for the FD should be just below the threads of the filler hole, don't really need the dip stick, you can just eye it.
              Really?????
              The full mark on the dipstick is 15/16" below the top of the filler hole, so if you look down in there and the level is just below the threads, it is full. It may be just a tad higher than full which is fine.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                The Boats.net site that a lot of folks use for parts and such only lists it as being used for the XS11 series bikes, not the 750 or 850, so apparently there is a difference, but don't know what it is. You might find info about the dimensions for one on the triples website.

The part # for the XS11 is: 2H7-2815A-00-00

T.C.
                The part number for the 850/750 dip stick is: 1J7-2815A-00-00
                So, they are different, but who knows by how much.
                Here's a pic:

Here's a pic of the XS11 one:
                Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                The Green Monster
                K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                Got him in '04.
                bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                Scarlet
                K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                Got her in '11
                Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                Hugo
                Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                Cold weather ride

Comment

The only difference I see is the one for the 11 bends in the middle so it'll fit in under the air box to check the middle drive.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    The only difference I see is the one for the 11 bends in the middle so it'll fit in under the air box to check the middle drive.
                    ......and ironically still available from mother Yammy.......go figure..
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I don't believe it!
                      79 DT 100

Comment

I don't believe it!
                        Really?.............was a year ago.

Comment

Well I found the 850 dip stick and the answer to the question is no they are not the same. The middle drive is but the final is not. But the pics were great to tell them apart...thanks
                          79 DT 100

Comment

Well I found the 850 dip stick and the answer to the question is no they are not the same. The middle drive is but the final is not. But the pics were great to tell them apart...thanks
                            OK, you want to let us in on what the difference is?
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                            X