XS1100H Tank Emblem Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS1100H Tank Emblem Trouble

I ordered a set of these tank emblems and after installation the tape started peeling off of the emblem and both fell off. The tape seemed to stick on the tank but I was able to peel it off with my fingers. I tried sanding the back of the emblem and useing outdoor two sided tape and it wouldn't stick to. My tank is coated with clear coat. Any one have similar trouble?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/171028011147?...#ht_3041wt_932
    81H Venture - hope to ride summer 2013
    79F Cafe Racer at Some Point;
    68 CB175 Sloper - Cafe Racer
    74 KZ400 - Restoration project nightmare
    62 BSA Super Rocket - In Pieces
    72 CB100 Super Sport - Not super or sporty but fun

Try using an adhesion promoter. 3M makes one that we use in the body shop for car emblems and mouldings. You should be able to find something like it at a parts store.
    80 XS11
    Still a jigsaw puzzle.

Comment

Good idea. I was going to install a layer of 3m vinyl film on this tank and purchased a 3m product that helps adhesion on the edges. My only concern is that it will melt the plastic on the back of the emblem (strong smelling stuff). I will try a small area first and see how it works.
      81H Venture - hope to ride summer 2013
      79F Cafe Racer at Some Point;
      68 CB175 Sloper - Cafe Racer
      74 KZ400 - Restoration project nightmare
      62 BSA Super Rocket - In Pieces
      72 CB100 Super Sport - Not super or sporty but fun

Comment

Originally posted by mspivey1566 View Post
        Try using an adhesion promoter. 3M makes one that we use in the body shop for car emblems and mouldings. You should be able to find something like it at a parts store.
        3M dual sided thin foam tape is only thing that'll keep them on.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Actually, the good 3M tape isn't foam, it's solid and a dark gray color. I've only seen it available at body shop supply houses. Make sure everything is clean and make damn sure you've got it lined up right because once this stuff sticks, it's nearly impossible to get it off.

You should also use the tape around the whole perimeter of the emblem, otherwise 'stuff' will get behind it...
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
            3M dual sided thin foam tape is only thing that'll keep them on.
            I meant along with the tape. The promoter will help it stick to almost anything. Lol. And yes make sure it is very clean
            80 XS11
            Still a jigsaw puzzle.

Comment

Working...
            X