Thread on "How the Carbs work"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread on "How the Carbs work"

There is an EXCELLENT description somewhere on here ( I searched and searched the techtips and threads) about how the various circuits in the carbs work; mixture screws at certain rpm etc etc. Can someone point me to it? I want to print it off and put it in my tech binder. Muchos Gracias amigos!!
    Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

HERE is a good description of how to tune them if that is what your looking for.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Thanks DG, that's darn close to what I read, but somebody spelled it out pretty much like "The idle mixture screws are used to 1500rpm", then the ???? take over until 3000rpm etc."

Kinda like that. It was just great. I'll def. read what you have there though!

Just read that article DG and it's excellent! but I still want the original one too.
      Last edited by Courtney; 07-03-2013, 11:31 AM.
      Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

http://www.iwt.com.au/mikunicarb.htm
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
          Thanks DG, that's darn close to what I read, but somebody spelled it out pretty much like "The idle mixture screws are used to 1500rpm", then the ???? take over until 3000rpm etc."

Kinda like that. It was just great. I'll def. read what you have there though!

Just read that article DG and it's excellent! but I still want the original one too.
          I know what your talking about but cant find it right now... it had some nice graphs and descriptions... I believe graphs had RPM on the x-axis and it showed the different transition stages from pilot circuit to emulsion tube/needle metering and finally main jet...
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Another great one, thanks BA!

Comment

Yep, that was the one I was thinking of... Here is one that combines that one and a few other sources together all on one page... same as above but without the annoying cyan color background.

http://home.everestkc.net/malsin/Mot...theory_101.htm
              Last edited by WMarshy; 07-03-2013, 02:26 PM.
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I like that one Wade. I'm stealin' it.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                X